Starting My First Tank in a While

Crazy_Cornsnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am planning on setting up a 125 gallon mixed reef aquarium. I used to have several tanks, all nano, and I want to set up a larger tank. I have a decent amount of experience in reef keeping, so I am looking to keep some slightly more advanced species. But I am still looking into more common species aswell. I have a stocking list planned out but wanted to run it by some people first.

Fish-
Pair of Picasso Clowns
Pair of Midnight Clownfish
A Golden Angelfish
A Red Stripe Anglefish
A Saddleback Butterflyfish
Pair of Yellow and Green Clown Gobys
A Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
A Pacific Redstripe Hogfish
A Linespot Flasher Wrasse
A Powder Brown Tang

Coral-
Two Zoanthid Gardens
Torch/Hammer Coral Garden
Acan Garden
Mushroom Garden
Several Plate Corals
A Collection of SPS Corals

If there is anything wrong with this list of corals, and fish, let me know.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
zOk7nol.gif

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2reef! Angels may be problematic with your SPS and possibly LPS. Golden, if it’s the one I’m thinking of(Centropyge aurantia) may not do well, as it’s more passive and the Eibl (Centropyge eibli) could be aggressive with the golden.

Two sets of clown fish may be pushing it as far a aggressiveness. Powder brown can be difficult as far as health, but provided it’s healthy and fed well, may work. Hogfish when it gets mature will eat any shrimp. Bio load of fish may be on the heavy side over all.

@4FordFamily, what you think?

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2reef! Angels may be problematic with your SPS and possibly LPS. Golden, if it’s the one I’m thinking of(Centropyge aurantia) may not do well, as it’s more passive and the Eibl (Centropyge eibli) could be aggressive with the golden.

Two sets of clown fish may be pushing it as far a aggressiveness. Powder brown can be difficult as far as health, but provided it’s healthy and fed well, may work. Hogfish when it gets mature will eat any shrimp. Bio load of fish may be on the heavy side over all.

@4FordFamily, what you think?
I actually agree on all fronts. The only thing I have to add is that the hogfish will eventually bully the snot out of the fairy wrasse. They often get quite nasty as they grow.

As far as bio load, it’s probably OK if nutrient export is sufficient and the tankmates can coexist well (and I agree with you that they won’t)

A powder brown really needs a 180 IMO at a minimum.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, welcome home, you will love it here!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back