Starting new 3 gallon reef tank

unicornreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I'm new to this forum. So I decided I wanted to venture into saltwater. I've owned a freshwater tank for almost a year now and have learned a lot and feel experienced. Now I want something new. Since I have limited space and want to start small, I decided I wanted to do a 3gallon reef only tank. I know it is harder than a big tank but I like a challenge and learn quickly. I would like some tips on what to do if any of you know.

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I'm new to this forum. So I decided I wanted to venture into saltwater. I've owned a freshwater tank for almost a year now and have learned a lot and feel experienced. Now I want something new. Since I have limited space and want to start small, I decided I wanted to do a 3gallon reef only tank. I know it is harder than a big tank but I like a challenge and learn quickly. I would like some tips on what to do if any of you know.

I say you should go with something a little bigger because I started with a 6 gallon nano and it's been a challenge and learned a lot and kind of sucks cause once u get into the hobby you see all these different coral fishes, etc and then you remember you only have a 6 gallons sucks so bad lol I regret not getting my self a bigger tank but I do love my nano so good luck

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dda925371c47787afe796a210055db88.jpg

This is my 6 gallon nano

OP
OP
unicornreefer

unicornreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will still try to stick with the 3 gallon though cause I'm still living with my parents cause I'm 16. Sucks to not have space.

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one its your water schedule? And how many cups or gallons a week ? Look nice i like it

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another guy got one like this one and change one cup of water everyday and he said works great

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck on the nano. They are beautiful when maintained properly. Stability is key especially on a tank that small. Make sure to get an ATO to keep salinity right on. I also ran a skimmer but if you only have 1-2 fish, you might be able to get away with water changes.

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck on the nano. They are beautiful when maintained properly. Stability is key especially on a tank that small. Make sure to get an ATO to keep salinity right on. I also ran a skimmer but if you only have 1-2 fish, you might be able to get away with water changes.

I'm working on that ATO but I have read that a skimmer for suck a little tank isn't necessary because you can almost do a big water change and it wouldn't affect it that bad if something bad happens which has happen to me but I'm keeping up with the water changes

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you stick to your WC schedule you should be fine without a skimmer. I do monthly water changes instead of weekly water changes so a skimmer is a little more crucial.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back