Starting new frags

mixeras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kenny tree that is growing out of control. I would like to prune it and glue it on to new frag plugs. This is my first time doing this. Any suggestions tips or advice?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure your very nervous and anxious, but you will see, once you do it, there's nothing to it. :grinning-squinting-face:

Watch a couple of youtube videos to get the idea, but basically its just as easy as cutting where you want, and then glueing it down.

If you can, pull the coral out of the tank to cut it, but if you can't, then just reach in with a clean pair of sharp scissors and cut. Pull out the frag into a separate little bowl of water, and that's where you glue it to the plug, then back into the tank to heal.

Make sure you run carbon, soft corals will release toxin from being cut.

Sometimes soft coral will slime a lot and the glue fails, I usually try to glue a second time. If it still doesnt work, then the third time I will use glue and gently tie it down with string or twine. It will take hold after 2-3 weeks.

Good luck.

OP
OP
M

mixeras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of glue do you use
I'm sure you're very nervous and anxious, but you will see, once you do it, there's nothing to it. :grinning-squinting-face:

Watch a couple of youtube videos to get the idea, but basically its just as easy as cutting where you want, and then glueing it down.

If you can, pull the coral out of the tank to cut it, but if you can't, then just reach in with a clean pair of sharp scissors and cut. Pull out the frag into a separate little bowl of water, and that's where you glue it to the plug, then back into the tank to heal.

Make sure you run carbon, soft corals will release toxin from being cut.

Sometimes soft coral will slime a lot and the glue fails, I usually try to glue a second time. If it still doesnt work, then the third time I will use glue and gently tie it down with string or twine. It will take hold after 2-3 weeks.

Good luc

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any kind of glue gel. Look for the word 'cyanoacrylate' in the description or ingredients, which seem to be about 99% of the available glue gel.

I just buy it from the dollar store, it works fine.

OP
OP
M

mixeras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. Will the main tree heal on its own?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixeras great to start with a Kenya tree. They’re very hardy and can recover quickly. The coral sometimes drops pieces in its own which you can move, frag, etc

OP
OP
M

mixeras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I look forward to it. Bought
Plugs and a tray. Going to attempt tonight

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back