Starting over with live rock

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made the decision to completely redo my rocks and sand. My tank is completely overrun with Aiptasia, vermatids, and I’ve been battling Dinos. After numerous methods to battle these issues I think stating over is the best option

Im not happy with my aquascape and my rocks aren’t secure so this is an excuse to redo it how I want. I’ve been loving BRS’s videos on negative space aquascape and am planning something similar.

I’ve got an established mixed reef (clams, SPS, LPS, Anemones, etc) and am planning on a 2 month cycle for the new rocks in bins.

What advice do people have for this process to avoid livestock loss. Any help would be appreciated!

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to have a holding tank for the livestock while you do the transfer? You should probably plan on a close to 100% water change as well because it'll get very dirty when you remove the rock and sand,

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to have a holding tank for the livestock while you do the transfer? You should probably plan on a close to 100% water change as well because it'll get very dirty when you remove the rock and sand,
I was planning on just sticking all the livestock on a 30g garbage can with a heater and water circulation.

I’m going to do a 100% water change and clean my glass, overflow, and sump to make sure that no Aiptasia are hiding and reintroduce to my new rock/sand.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is to be very careful and go very slowly with the SPS, as an imbalance in the biodiversity from the new rock and loss of previous rock could cause major problems. When you say established, how long has your current rock been in the tank, and was the previous rock "live rock" or dry rock that became live?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering something similar and would like to follow your progress if you go this path. I plan to move before the end of the year and debating if I should start now or wait until the move. I was thinking of getting a used 10gallon to transfer everything while I deep clean and restart the 20 again. I would like to get some TBS rock and a fresh start.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is to be very careful and go very slowly with the SPS, as an imbalance in the biodiversity from the new rock and loss of previous rock could cause major problems. When you say established, how long has your current rock been in the tank, and was the previous rock "live rock" or dry rock that became live?
My tanks been up for over 3 years with the existing rock. The rock was dry that became live.

As far as going slow for the SPS do you mean cycling it ok the brutes longer?

My game plan is:
1)Purchase new rock and get the aquascape I want.

2) Let the rock cycle/mature in brute cans for ~2 months

3) Pull out all livestock in another brute with circulation and heat.

4) Remove all sand, rock, and water

5) Clean tank, overflow, and plumbing to make sure no pests get reintroduced

6) Put in new sand and rock

7) Reintroduced all livestock

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Im replacing half my rockwork with new stuff and seeding it with the great LR from KPaquatics.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With rock that old you have established a very diverse and extensive bioload; if you are going to start with new rock only two months old, I would be careful to monitor SPS as they may not react well to the changes compared to your other corals.

I definitely can relate to your woes, I have had my share of vermetids and Aptasia; they seem to have stabilized in my system, but I would obviously like to have them 100% gone.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a side topic, but anyone worry for bristleworms or anything like that on this true LR coming in? Or are these things fine for the tank? I started all dry rock to start. I wanted to add a 10 pound piece of the kpaquatics LR to add biodiversity if itll help my tank out.

Coralville

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I am planning a redo of my tank as well due to hydroids and red planaria and have a similar plan to yours. How are you planning on cleaning the tank, overflow and plumbing? Vinegar? Why did you choose 2 months as the quarantine period for your rocks?

FWIW I got rid of dinos by adding a lot of pods to my tank. You may want to consider adding more pods after you introduce the rock just as additional insurance against the dinos.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I am planning a redo of my tank as well due to hydroids and red planaria and have a similar plan to yours. How are you planning on cleaning the tank, overflow and plumbing? Vinegar? Why did you choose 2 months as the quarantine period for your rocks?

I’m not sure how I’m wanting to clean it, I’ll probably just do a manual wipe down with 50/50 vinegar and doing the same for all the plumbing with a pipe cleaner brush.

2 months just feels like a a decent amount of time to buildsome biodiversity. Going to ghost feed and add bacteria to boost it as much as possible.

Thinking about adding some tank water from a water change. Wondering if that could introduce any of my issues onto the new rock though.

dayanarivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a side topic, but anyone worry for bristleworms or anything like that on this true LR coming in? Or are these things fine for the tank? I started all dry rock to start. I wanted to add a 10 pound piece of the kpaquatics LR to add biodiversity if itll help my tank out.
Nooo this thing are the worst the get under the sand in the rock and if you touch this bristle worm you finger will look like if you jest touch the sharpes captus and it is painful 2 hrs you be swollen the hold area and one week later you finger will start pelling off so if you see the realy carefully with long twist get offfff take care good luck

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nooo this thing are the worst the get under the sand in the rock and if you touch this bristle worm you finger will look like if you jest touch the sharpes captus and it is painful 2 hrs you be swollen the hold area and one week later you finger will start pelling off so if you see the realy carefully with long twist get offfff take care good luck

Why are you people worried about a dang bristle worm? Seriously? Do you not understand the benefits of these creatures? Everyone is so quick to jump the gun to call something a pest and eliminate it. There is some trend going on with people sterilizing their tanks and it really needs to be rethought out. Bristle worms do way more good than bad. The bristles on the sides are a defense mechanism, their only defense from being eaten. Just pay more attention and wear gloves if it bothers you that much but it is not that bad. I have been reefing for 10 years and never touched a bristle worm and I pick up rock all of the time.

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you people worried about a dang bristle worm? Seriously? Do you not understand the benefits of these creatures? Everyone is so quick to jump the gun to call something a pest and eliminate it. There is some trend going on with people sterilizing their tanks and it really needs to be rethought out. Bristle worms do way more good than bad. The bristles on the sides are a defense mechanism, their only defense from being eaten. Just pay more attention and wear gloves if it bothers you that much but it is not that bad. I have been reefing for 10 years and never touched a bristle worm and I pick up rock all of the time.
I second that you only ever see brislteworms at night scavenging for uneaten food soon as they even sense light they are back as deep into the rock as they can.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having to seed the tank I purchased with live rock from KP aquatics. I remember walking into the guys house and staring at the tank going....what the heck? I asked him how long the tank was setup and he said January 2020, it was July then. The tank looked dead. I walked closer to the tank and stared at the sand bed. I am thinking in my head "this is not right". Upon close inspection I saw no feather dusters, pineapple sponges, medusa worms, amphipods, copepods, spaghetti worms, the sand bed was barren.

So I currently have rock curing and more coming in Tuesday after I figured I wanted even more. I am going to cram life rock in every crevice I can find to eliminate this void of critters. Last night while viewing my tank in the dark I finally started seeing bristle worms on one piece of rock I got from petco, maybe 30 bristle worms but that is absolutely the only life I have seen in this tank other than the fish, that is just sad.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having to seed the tank I purchased with live rock from KP aquatics. I remember walking into the guys house and staring at the tank going....what the heck? I asked him how long the tank was setup and he said January 2020, it was July then. The tank looked dead. I walked closer to the tank and stared at the sand bed. I am thinking in my head "this is not right". Upon close inspection I saw no feather dusters, pineapple sponges, medusa worms, amphipods, copepods, spaghetti worms, the sand bed was barren.

So I currently have rock curing and more coming in Tuesday after I figured I wanted even more. I am going to cram life rock in every crevice I can find to eliminate this void of critters. Last night while viewing my tank in the dark I finally started seeing bristle worms on one piece of rock I got from petco, maybe 30 bristle worms but that is absolutely the only life I have seen in this tank other than the fish, that is just sad.
I'm ordering 10 lbs going to have it shipped in water. Should I still send it through the curing process? If I do, then I could add my old fiji rock to the tub and try to get that started to get seeded from the KP rock.

Or itll be both directly to the tank and removing my right half structure.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ordering 10 lbs going to have it shipped in water. Should I still send it through the curing process? If I do, then I could add my old fiji rock to the tub and try to get that started to get seeded from the KP rock.
I am not having mine shipped in water, I figure it will run the price up too high. As easy as it is to put it in a container, 10lbs is only about 4 pieces I would put it in a container, a 5 gallon bucket would do. I would still cure it, but that is me. As soon as the readings look good on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates you are good to go.

This is my rock, 10 pounds curing from KP this morning. Got 20 more coming tomorrow.

POST EDIT: I see in the picture the light crate was about to fall in the water with the light. I think my cat did that, it has now been put back like it should be.

live_rock_kp_aquatics_10_pounds_8-2020.jpg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back