Starting over

miguelpatricio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My history. In the past I had a reef tank that was adapted from a "normal" aquarium, but I had some difficulties making it work well. I learnt a lot - my biggest lesson was that it is cheaper to invest in good equipment from the start. At the time, I had to let go of my aquarium because of moving to another country.

What I want to do now. I want to invest in a good aquarium with all the equipment. There are three things that are important to me: I want my fish to be healthy, I want my aquarium to be as silent as possible and I want to spend as little as possible to make that happen.

What I was thinking. I was thinking of buying a second hand Red Sea 250 - without any fish or water or rock - and starting fresh and slow.

My question. Does my strategy make sense? Or what would you do?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out waterbox before you go red sea. I have red sea and didn't research first; waterbox yields the same beautiful aesthetic at a similar price, but the sump is less tight and the stand is less of a nightmare to assemble. The biggest thing I'd recommend is being honest with yourself about what you want to keep in the tank long term, and purchasing equipment accordingly. For example, if you want to keep stony corals later, don't buy cheap lights that won't support them, because you'll probably have to buy better lights later. Also don't cheap out on your heater.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back