Starting phyto culture with Ocean Magic

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra fresh bottle of Ocean Magic phyto from Algae Barn. Is it possible to start a small culture from the entire 16oz bottle? Thought it would be a cool extension to the hobby. I have a bottle of f/2 and supplies

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible but only one of the species is gonna survive. You’re better off buying some starter cultures and going from there if you want multiple species. I purchase all mine from @Eldredge and have always gotten quality phyto

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible but only one of the species is gonna survive. You’re better off buying some starter cultures and going from there if you want multiple species. I purchase all mine from @Eldredge and have always gotten quality phyto
Thanks I thought since there are 4 species one might out compete the others. I wonder how algae barn does it. I wouldn’t think they would fill each bottle 25% from 4 cultures at their place

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I thought since there are 4 species one might out compete the others. I wonder how algae barn does it. I wouldn’t think they would fill each bottle 25% from 4 cultures at their place
Im sure they do. That’s what I do for my own use, just mix up a bottle of equal proportion of each species

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure they do. That’s what I do for my own use, just mix up a bottle of equal proportion of each species.

Have you used Mercer of Montana? I have only used their Tetraselmis culture as well as their F2 fertilizer. What other cultures do you grow?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used Mercer of Montana? I have only used their Tetraselmis culture as well as their F2 fertilizer. What other cultures do you grow?
Ive never. I purchase my starting cultures from the guy I tagged in my first post. I only culture nanno and tetra right now but have placed an order for iso and Chaetoceros gracilis to start culturing those as well

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida Aqua Farms is another but I can't suggest them to a high degree because they don't communicate well... Tons of equipment for setups though.

I have Nanochloropsus growing but curious about what other species I should add to the mix for pod growth.
Im actually culturing pods as well. Nanno and tetra are okay but iso is very recommended across multiple websites and threads for pods and thats why it’s going to be my next culture

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually culturing pods as well. Nanno and tetra are okay but iso is very recommended across multiple websites and threads for pods and thats why it’s going to be my next culture
So would you recommend to culture nanno and tetra separately to start out with for reef addition and iso if culturing pods?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida Aqua Farms is another but I can't suggest them to a high degree because they don't communicate well... Tons of equipment for setups though.

I have Nanochloropsus growing but curious about what other species I should add to the mix for pod growth.

You are right about Florida Aqua Farms. Frank wrote the book on phytoplankton culture and they were geared to large scale.

I would think pods are not finiky about ingestion of differrent size phyto. My goal is sea apples, flame scallops, feathers & fans as well as coral.

In my evaluation, dosing phytoplankton is “carbon dosing” on steroids. Phyto is live food that moves to higher trophic levels via the “microbial loop” .

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you recommend to culture nanno and tetra separately to start out with for reef addition and iso if culturing pods?
Nanno is the easiest, tetra has some nutrients that nanno lacks, and iso has nutrients they both lack and is great for pods. Nanno is high in nutritional value and very little can go wrong culturing it. Tetra is pretty easy too. I’ve heard iso can be more difficult

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanno is the easiest, tetra has some nutrients that nanno lacks, and iso has nutrients they both lack and is great for pods. Nanno is high in nutritional value and very little can go wrong culturing it. Tetra is pretty easy too. I’ve heard iso can be more difficult
Thanks @JosephM I’ll start with nanno for my first attempt

Back