Starting the process

NanoNana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have accumulated tank and necessary equipment (I’ll do a build thread when I start putting it together.
Installed RO/DI today and will begin bleaching my rock tomorrow (was used in someone’s old tank and sitting dry for a few weeks)

So bleach, followed by dechlorinator and more dechlorinator etc until I am satisfied the rock is no longer loaded with chlorine. I’ll test the clean water for chlorine.

24 gallon AIO. Using caribsea oolite ocean direct sand

I want to do a fishless cycle. I opted for Dr. Tim’s and hopefully won’t fall into the false stall narrative. What I’ve extrapolated from posts here is 0 ammonia plus nitrates = good.

50% water change then test if 0 ammonia I can add fish? I have seen varying info on this so want to confirm it.

Stock list:
Yellow Clown Goby (no sps)
Royal gramma
Shrimp Goby with pistol shrimp

Clown goby or gramma first? Or can they go in together? Should the pistol shrimp and shrimp goby go in at the same time or should I wait a length on the shrimp so it has more to eat?

I don’t have a QT tank. Thinking to order from Dr Reef or any other recommended place that quarantines.

Establishing fish first. Then I’ll start with softies. This will be softie/euphillia mainly and probably lighter on corals than most reef tanks. I don’t want a FOWLR tank but fish and inverts will be the focus for a while. I don’t plan on any nems.

After I see how bioload is going I may add a small fourth fish but with just the gramma and the two gobies, how long to wait on CUC?

Thanks in advance!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to bleach the rock, and even if you do, no need to do massive dechlorination.

For a fishless cycle (a good thing), you can add ammonia several ways - any organic material will accomplish thus. If you use ammonia drops, be aware that the Dr.Tim's ammonia drops are easily overdosed, so try to only add enough to get to 2ppm.

Personally, I'd rinse the rocks in tap water and then put them in the tank. If there is organic material still on them, this can serve as your ammonia source. Add the bacteria and let things proceed without adding large amounts of drops (if any).

Regardless of how you start establishing the nitrogen cycle in the tank, you need to first see ammonia present, then wait and test every few days. You can test nitrites if you want, but they are largely irrelevant in saltwater, especially when starting out. When you start seeing nitrates, you know things are moving along as they should. Continue testing ammo and nitrate and when ammo drops to zero, add more organic material (fish food) or ammo drops until you get a measurable result, then test 24 hours later. If ammo is back to 0 (or between 0 and .25 if using API), then your tank can safely handle a small bioload.

At this point, if your nitrates are over 20, you CAN do a water change, but it's not really necessary.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for stocking, in such a small tank, I recommend adding one fish at a time, maybe a week apart. The goal is to allow the nitrifying bacteria colonies grow to be able to process the new bioload. An alternative is to add some more bottled bac each time you add a fish...

It shouldn't matter which one goes in first. The pistol and goby can go in at the same time.
You will want to add inverts as the tank matures - once you start seeing algae, add some algae eating snails. You can also add some detritivores to help eat leftover food.

I understand you don't want a qt, but it is a good idea to have *something* on hand in case you do need to set up an alternate holding container in an emergency. A 5 gallon bucket, small heater, and airstone can be sufficient.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is oolite the super-fine sand? Others with your size tank can advise you better, but if the sand is too fine, it can be hard to have sufficient flow without sand blowing around... Just something to think about.

Oh, and to your question about waiting to add the shrimp "until it has enough to eat", you will need to feed the shrimp the same as you feed the fish. Pistol shrimp are not really algae eaters.

Good luck! :)

OP
OP
NanoNana

NanoNana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is oolite the super-fine sand? Others with your size tank can advise you better, but if the sand is too fine, it can be hard to have sufficient flow without sand blowing around... Just something to think about.

Oh, and to your question about waiting to add the shrimp "until it has enough to eat", you will need to feed the shrimp the same as you feed the fish. Pistol shrimp are not really algae eaters.

Good luck! :)
Thanks for all that! My concern with the rock is that I don’t know what was in this tank. I got it from a couple who do freshwater and tried saltwater, found it “too difficult” and tore down the tank. Idk if it crashed due to disease, or what. I will say it’s the cleanest used tank I’ve ever seen. The tank ran about two years. Idk how anything was stored but it was only down about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. I’m afraid of introducing something that will take forever to fix. But if that isn’t a worry, definitely don’t mind not being equally as afraid that I’m not getting all the bleach out!

I do have items to set up a treatment tank if I ever need too. I have to have fish shipped anyway so I’d rather order them pre quarantined and treated than risk doing it wrong on start up. But maybe that’s a bad idea?

Once a week is quicker than I thought I could add lol. So that’s cool.

I may do Fiji Pink instead. Some people say it blows most say it doesn’t but may be better not to risk it. Good point!

Seriously thanks so much for the time you spent answering!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back