Starting up again after 30 years

HughDat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble finding an undergravel filter.

So much has changed. About to start a 180 gal reef. I love that LED lights are now available. Everyone points to Radion, but are there other good brands to consider? It’s a 24” deep tank…I’m hoping not to have to spend $2500 on lighting.

I was also hoping to use pads instead of socks, any recommendations on a 50+ Gal sump w refugium?
AB8F4BEF-F6CB-4208-9DFC-AF6ED988F02E.jpeg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'd start browsing the used market -- facebook, kijiji, and the marketplace forum on this site are great places to look for steals -- as you can usually save up to 1/2 the price if you buy equipment this way. It can be tricky, as you need to do a thorough inspection of all used goods (this can be especially tricky on line), but necessary.

No, you don't need Radions for a successful tank.

Reef tanks certainly come in many sizes, shapes, and communities. I'd suggest that you take a look at what you can feasibly and reasonably accomplish in one year -- is it growing your first SPS colony? Maintaining a healthy group of fish? Showcasing a spectacular sponge? -- and set your equipment goal for that. I'd leave the roller pads and other exciting tech to your second year.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 82 53.9%
  • NO

Votes: 47 30.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back