Starting up salt water tank !

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday i set up my 55 gallon tank for salt i added the live sand ro water and 55 half cups of salt.
Im running a canister with a tidal top filter
When can i add live rock and fish ?

thank you

A69BD3C6-236A-4025-BA9D-1440A1F390F6.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks really dirty.... Is there a reason you're in such a rush to add fish? Why not just take your time, and let the tank do it's work for 1-2 weeks and then add the fish when your readings are appropriate? I'm only 2 months into the hobby but quickly learned that patience is key to starting a tank. I waited a month with dry rock and cycling just to make sure everything was OK before adding 2 clowns.
yes tank was clear till i put the rocks in and i rearranged them a lot not liking the placement of the rocks . the cloudiness came from the rocks dust and the sand moving around the tank

Upvote 0

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what test kit do you like to use ? is there any in particular or anyone is fine? i typically just bring the water in to get checked
I’ve used API kits in the past. But you can use any of them. A lot of the LFS’s use API it seems. Salifert makes a good ammonia kit. You can also look at getting the Red Sea marine kit. It has everything you need. You want to get high quality.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used API kits in the past. But you can use any of them. A lot of the LFS’s use API it seems. Salifert makes a good ammonia kit. You can also look at getting the Red Sea marine kit. It has everything you need. You want to get high quality.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t mean to shame anyone but you need to sloooooow your roll. Bacteria don’t proliferate if there is no ammonia. Adding fish now will burn their gills and hurt like crap. Give it 7 days. Live sand is snake oil, it won’t help you cycle faster
This. I saw you said 55 cups of salt but did you actually measure your salt content/salinity? Its not really fair to come and post a thread with an already running tank and expect all these basic foundation questions asked.. this information is readily available and could be found anywhere on the net with minimal time invested to do your own research

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I saw you said 55 cups of salt but did you actually measure your salt content/salinity? Its not really fair to come and post a thread with an already running tank and expect all these basic foundation questions asked.. this information is readily available and could be found anywhere on the net with minimal time invested to do your own research
Yes i had help from someone who has a salt water tank them selves. Im asking for more imput and my questions are about stuff i havent done yet!

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back