OP
OP
R

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and yup, I made the soda ash solution today (2 1/4 cups baking soda baked at 300 degrees for 1.2 hrs)
I have it mixed into a gallon jug now. Holding off on dosing it as I want to let my pH stabilize over the next day or so to see where we land with opening the windows throughout the day.

I plan to install a Icecap K1 nano skimmer into my DT once it's all up and ready.. Wondering if I should try and setup an airline through my window to draw it some of the outside air.. (not sure if its possible with this skimmer)

Or.. what are my other options? Grow Chaeto?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water change is not the best to bring your alk up, as it would have to be a very big change to work, better using baking soda, if you bake it in the oven for an hour you'll see a slight ph raise too, unbaked it'll drop your ph slightly for a little while.

I would first make sure your water surface is being broken with your powerheads or return, and the room is well aired, then wait to see when the ph stabilises what that does to the alk, then maybe add the baking soda but no more than a .5kh raise a day is probably best.

I don't believe the OP reported #s are right. Nothing in the tank is going to just suck out the Alk with few exceptions.

Dosing without good information may lead to unbalanced tank parameters and potential harm.

In this situation, several larger water changes over a couple weeks will be harmless and maybe address the issue.

Back