SteamPunk Lamp

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my Steampunk Lamp. I would like to take the credit for the design but I can't. I actually saw it on a site called "Intructables". I found it by accident and they have a lot of cool things to build or just to get ideas from. I embellished on this project by adding a water valve that is actually the switch that turns on the thing. There is an air pump inside which pumps air into the glass chamber (wine bottle)
It is built out of PVC pipe which I painted to look like aged copper. That site shows how to do that as I wasn't sure how to get that old copper look but it does look pretty good if I have to say so myself, and I do.

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very cool there is a steam punk festival in my town.I believe it's every year

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tcarter, I love it. I built something similar out of a 100 year old slab of a tree I found in a collapsing barn in Vermont. I cut it down and poured that stuff on it that looks like glass and made an 8' shelf out of it. It has no visable supports as I routed grooves in the bottom and used threaded rod in the studs of the wall.
I could build steampunk stuff all day long but my wife thinks it's ugly so I have no place to put it.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tcarter, I love it. I built something similar out of a 100 year old slab of a tree I found in a collapsing barn in Vermont. I cut it down and poured that stuff on it that looks like glass and made an 8' shelf out of it. It has no visable supports as I routed grooves in the bottom and used threaded rod in the studs of the wall.
I could build steampunk stuff all day long but my wife thinks it's ugly so I have no place to put it.
Awsome reminds me of my cedar bath vanity top I made,very few of us out there willing to work with your hands and imagination and make great real things 1481073488753.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I like it.
Most people don't know how or don't want to do anything with their hands any more except texting which I feel is a huge waste of time. I have a friend who constantly texts even when we are out to dinner with our wives. I always tell him he looks like a big Chooch 16 year old. Like, how important are you? My phone makes all sorts of noises and I assume I am getting texts, E Mails, dating requests from Supermodels etc, and I rarely look at it. If something is important enough to contact me, they can call me and use their mouth to form words to speak like we were designed to do.
As for building things, I wish I didn't have to sleep because I am running out of places to put stuff. I would build things 24/7 if I could. I never hired anyone to do anything so far except dentists and if I could see in there (and take my screaming) I would do that myself because I don't like the way they do some things.
I did just have a shoulder surgery, one of five but the doctor wouldn't let me help him and insisted I stay sleeping. I even brought my own tools. :eek:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I just started another one. It still needs paint and most of the copper, tubes, fittings and springs are not on it yet as I just started to gather the materials and get the design down in my head.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We can put it in my house Paul :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 offers for $400.00 the first day but I would never sell it for that. It cost me $100.00 to build it and it took longer than it looks like it should. If I get tired of it or run completely out of room I may sell it or I will make another one to sell.
I build things all year long but I just like looking at them, or I give them away.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 offers for $400.00 the first day but I would never sell it for that. It cost me $100.00 to build it and it took longer than it looks like it should. If I get tired of it or run completely out of room I may sell it or I will make another one to sell.
I build things all year long but I just like looking at them, or I give them away.
Same here, every time I build something is a labor of love and when it comes to people putting a price on it it never ads up. When I'm offered less than its worth I keep it or give it to someone who will appreciate it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right, that money isn't going to change my life. :D

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back