OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrodude, that "spark, dome thing is now finished. It has almost twice the "stuff" inside it now including a small fan with streamers on it showing it is blowing and a few more tubes. I am kind of proud of it.
At a gallery it will be listed for about $2,800.00.
Those fish sold for $900.00.

At those prices I just make them as a hobby because there is not much profit in them as the gallery gets 50% and they take a lot of hours to build and the parts could be expensive.

Many of my lamps cost me 3 or 4 hundred dollars for parts and after all the work I get half so I am working for like 50 cents an hour.

For the ones with the lit up tubes, I have to drill a hole in the tube with a diamond drill and insert an LED. Some of the tubes turn black when you do that and I have to carefully cut off the glass and clean the inside. It's a lot of delicate work.

In the dome thing, I hollowed out that vintage carburetor (I think it was from a tractor) so I could mount the electronics inside it.

The "meat grinder" piece was just a joke for fun but all those coins are soldered together. Try to do that and hold them in position :eek:
The base is reinforced poured concrete which I had to build a mold for, then I covered it in clear epoxy.

I am bringing my last 4 pieces to the gallery here today where the owner will take pictures of them for an eventual showing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gallery is selling those pieces for a little more than I expected, $7,000.00.
Much (but not all) of that money (if they sell) will go to the MS Society as 100% of my book sales are going to.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your Steam Punk creations are gorgeous! I'll never own one, but I sure love it when you share pics!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe you could do a photo gallery here with a link to donate to the MS Foundation?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Katrina, I have no idea how to do that and I realize different people give to a charity of their choice depending on who in their family has what condition. I do MS because of my wife. I also do Wounded Warriors but not as much.
My book won't sell enough copies to make much of a difference to the MS Chapter so I will also kick in some to make it seem like I am actually doing something productive. I wish I could do more.

Years ago we organized MS Bike rides where all the money went to them but now we all got older and don't ride bikes as much any more, especially not 25 miles. o_O

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think somebody here can help if you are interested in doing it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last glass enclosed piece came out very well. In that picture it was a little more than half finished and I didn't know the gallery wanted it right away so I didn't take a finished picture of it so the next time I go to the Gallery, I will take a picture.
I am designing another one that I think will be interesting but I spend so much time driving my wife to Dr, or PT appointments, I don't have much free time.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Rev and Crabs can help.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will look into it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that "artist' used a real banana which has now rotted off the paper..
It's a shame that the Jiboni who bought it didn't have an MRI before he bought it because he probably has a brain tumor.

I'd expect you should be able to get at least a $1 million for this!
That's actually $900.00, but there are no bananas in it. :p

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that "artist' used a real banana which has now rotted off the paper..
It's a shame that the Jiboni who bought it didn't have an MRI before he bought it because he probably has a brain tumor.
Actually the first banana was eaten (without permission!) by a performance artist who just walked up to it, took it off the wall and ate it. At first the gallery was going to have him arrested but then, after consulting with the original artist, decided to just replace the banana o_O

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, This thread has been going for two years and I only found it today. How'd that happen?

You are a very talented and creative artist. I love what you've done.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rybren, you should see what I do while I'm awake. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to go to the gallery to take a picture of this because I realized i didn't have a finished picture. I added a fan with streamers so you can see it is running and some more copper tubes with lights.

Two people who came to the gallery seem to want it so there is a bit of a price war going on.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another piece almost done. It has a firelight light in it and I blew it up by putting 120 volts on the electronics of the thing that was supposed to be 12 volts.

I Amazoned another one and will get it tomorrow.

I am kind of proud of this piece as it does quite a few things.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but soon.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost finished. I got the new firelight today from Amazon and it is the wrong one, so I ordered another one.
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh ;Meh

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back