Steel stand no center brace

  • Thread starter Thread starter JayRozzer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JayRozzer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2018
Messages
409
Reaction score
372
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60”x24”x38” steel stand made with 2”x2” 1/4”. Holding a roughly 120 gallon glass tank (60”x24”x20”) Am I safe without any center bracing ???
GIF by Entertainment Tonight
 
Are you asking if it could be done or if your design does it?
 
Are you asking if it could be done or if your design does it?
Sorry. I’m asking if I’ll be safe without a center brace with a steel stand made of 2”x2” tube 60” spread on the tank.
 
Sorry. I’m asking if I’ll be safe without a center brace with a steel stand made of 2”x2” tube 60” spread on the tank.

Ok - do you have a drawing of how you plan to place the supports?

You can definitely accomplish what you want with steel
 
Not that it matter I’ve been running a 120 4x2x2 with no center brace without any issues for a while. It is a framed tank and I did overbuild the stand with double 2x4’s along the top which are lagged together but I’m sure steel will be more than strong enough. Here’s a few pictures of it while I was in process of transitioning from my 90 to the 120

1877E4FE-7929-4876-BF4D-98FC7AA2FF64.png D3C28B03-7EA2-4A86-AA6C-5204EE481503.png
 
Last edited:
You can do 60” span with that steel. I primarily use 2x2x3/16 wall for every stand Clear Fabrications builds except for the very large tanks. You can check out some of the steel work on my Instagram, Clear Fabrications. To be real safe use 2x4x1/4 for the top stretchers.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new