Sterile Tank MicroBiome Cycle

TangLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am currently cycling a tank with sterile dry rock and Ocean Direct Live sand. I dosed DR Tims, but I really want to have a good MicroBiome. I was not wanting to use live rock due to having parasites etc introduced.

Anything I can do to help improve my stability long term and prevent disease/pests?

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Well they say to use dry sand because the bacteria in the sand will compete with the bacteria you dosed and it will lengthen the cycle. Dunno if it’s true or not.

Whatever you buy has to be QT and treated. Inverts, snails, coral, anything with a hard body has to be in a fallow fishless tank for 76 to prevent ich/velvet. It’s tough. I’m getting back into the game and ordered QTed stuff from dr reef. Takes the hassle out of doing it. QTing everything is very painful and time consuming.

Edit: shrimps/crabs can get out after molt

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TangLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 1000 percent. I am primarily concerned about making an established diverse system. It seems difficult to do it without live rock! Wanted to know if I had any other options?

I planned on all the QT requirements.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Agree 1000 percent. I am primarily concerned about making an established diverse system. It seems difficult to do it without live rock! Wanted to know if I had any other options?

I planned on all the QT requirements.
Best way would to be buy coral id think. I wouldn’t worry about bacterial diversity. Nitrifying bacteria is nitrifying bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back