Sterilize & Quarantine process for coral?

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm looking for information about ways to sterilize coral to a point there's no Copepods, no algae (probably not possible?), no invertebrates whatsoever, basically the highest we could achieve where it's PURELY just the coral itself and water.
Is it possible?
For example, If I going with a Softy, like a "kenya tree" I can cut the flesh directly. But on that piece, there's mucus and on this mucus there's things I might not want, how can I achieve the perfect "laboratory/sterilized" environment?

There's 2/3 thing I don't think I can do anything: Bacteria and Algae, possibly pathogen trace too. But the rest, out.

If it takes 6 months, then it takes 6 months, I want nothing else than the coral itself. Is it just a fantasy or is it possible to achieve?

(sorry there's no subcategory for this?)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals contain photosynthetic dinoflagellates that you do not want to kill. Killing everything else and not them may be difficult.

I'm also not sure if would be desirable to kill all bacteria, just as it isn't desirable to kill all bacteria in and on a person.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals contain photosynthetic dinoflagellates that you do not want to kill. Killing everything else and not them may be difficult.

I'm also not sure if would be desirable to kill all bacteria, just as it isn't desirable to kill all bacteria in and on a person.
Agreed, but its the process that I'm interested, how something like this could be achieve.

I take a coral, look undermicroscope, make sure it doesn't contain even a diatom or any photosynthetic "cell".

It's the process of purity that I'm interested with corals. How such thing could be possible (if it is).

The only two thing I know I can't do anything about it is bacteria and algae.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but its the process that I'm interested, how something like this could be achieve.

I take a coral, look undermicroscope, make sure it doesn't contain even a diatom or any photosynthetic "cell".

It's the process of purity that I'm interested with corals. How such thing could be possible (if it is).

The only two thing I know I can't do anything about it is bacteria and algae.

I do not know of a way to kill all bacteria and algae and not the dinos.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back