Sterilizing QT tanks

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that bleach is only available on the black market at $100/oz, does anyone have any suggestions for sterilizing empty QT tanks?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide is used in labs to sterilize equipment. It destroys carbon based materials.

OP
OP
J

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's about $300/oz. Lol

Lol, it's crazy at the grocery stores. I still have trouble believing they have not caught up on toilet paper inventory. Seems like it was about 6 weeks ago we started hearing about TP and soap shortages. Who is buying all the TP and don't they have like 1000+ rolls already?

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas? I heard it's cheap right now!. ..Only kidding. Don't use gas. Rinse with a vinegar/water and let dry for at least 24 hours..Meaning once it's dry, let it sit for at least 24 hours. Should be good. What are you decontaminating? If just ich, drying for 24hrs is fine.

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to disinfect vs just clean a medicated QT? I always wondered if a tank had copper in it, if it was drained and cleaned with hot water and vinegar if it could be set up again with no risk of disease.

OP
OP
J

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas? I heard it's cheap right now!. ..Only kidding. Don't use gas. Rinse with a vinegar/water and let dry for at least 24 hours..Meaning once it's dry, let it sit for at least 24 hours. Should be good. What are you decontaminating? If just ich, drying for 24hrs is fine.

Kaboom!!!!

I guess I should have read your full response first? :)

Nothing specific, but I have been in the habit of sterilizing my two QT tanks when I am done with them. I have a clown and a couple Bangaii Cardinals that I plan to treat in Copper for 14 days, tranfter to another tank, then treat with Prazi/Metro. I was just thinking ahead since bleach is scarce.

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be fine with the above. Vinegar + water plus a full dry.
Side note, even if you could get your hands on a couple of ounces of bleach (ml for you metric folk) you could easily dilute it pretty good and it will still do the job. 10:1 in a little spray bottle would do well.

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be fine with the above. Vinegar + water plus a full dry.
Side note, even if you could get your hands on a couple of ounces of bleach (ml for you metric folk) you could easily dilute it pretty good and it will still do the job. 10:1 in a little spray bottle would do well.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 52 41.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back