Would this uv sterilizer work for my tank to kill ich?

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was walking through the store and saw this uv sterilizer that apparently is good for 500 gallons. It’s the coralife turbo twist 12x 36watt sterilizer. I was hoping that it would work well on my Red Sea reefer 350 (90 gal total) to keep any parasites like ich at bay. What do you all think?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't eradicate ich with a uv sterilizer. Anyway, check that that '500 gallons' wasn't for freshwater. They are far less effective in saltwater.

OP
OP
JPR1212

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't eradicate ich with a uv sterilizer. Anyway, check that that '500 gallons' wasn't for freshwater. They are far less effective in saltwater.
It says for both. And I know I was thinking more for management.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it will have two separate vastly different ratings. For example I have a 55 watt aqua ultraviolet. Rated for 300 gallons SW. Rated for like 4k FW. It's insane the difference.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It says for both. And I know I was thinking more for management.
If you are running an ich management tank, then it would help to limit the number of free swimming theronts in your WC. As previously mentioned, though, it will not eradicate the parasite completely from your system.

As for sizing, I would take the manufacturer's word with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
JPR1212

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running an ich management tank, then it would help to limit the number of free swimming theronts in your WC. As previously mentioned, though, it will not eradicate the parasite completely from your system.

As for sizing, I would take the manufacturer's word with a grain of salt.
Definitely, that’s why I figured if my tank is 90gal overall. And manufacturer is saying 500 gal I’d hope it would at least manage my tank

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely, that’s why I figured if my tank is 90gal overall. And manufacturer is saying 500 gal I’d hope it would at least manage my tank
TBH, I would stay away from the Coralife unit as It is pretty poorly reviewed. For 1/3 the price you can get a 55w Jebao unit from Amazon that will more than cover your size tank.

If price isn't an issue, then I would go with a similarly sized AquaUV.

OP
OP
JPR1212

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH, I would stay away from the Coralife unit as It is pretty poorly reviewed. For 1/3 the price you can get a 55w Jebao unit from Amazon that will more than cover your size tank.

If price isn't an issue, then I would go with a similarly sized AquaUV.
Can you send a link to the jebao?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was walking through the store and saw this uv sterilizer that apparently is good for 500 gallons. It’s the coralife turbo twist 12x 36watt sterilizer. I was hoping that it would work well on my Red Sea reefer 350 (90 gal total) to keep any parasites like ich at bay. What do you all think?
Hate to say, but coral life is one of the worst units and better is aquaUV , Rainbow lifeguard
Uv units will work on free floating organisms that pass through the units channel and not erase ich which is preexisting as believed by many
I have a Jebao and it’s more for a pond and going back to the lifeguard unit

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 500 gallon rating is probably only for algae control in fresh water. What a UV will kill depends a lot on the flow rate through it. At a low enough flow rate to kill ICH it will also kill pods. Faster rates will kill some algae and algae spores.
The Jebao UV have been known to break down internally releasing toxins into aquariums.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others are saying this already but there's a reason all the LFSs (and even petco) use Aqua Ultraviolet. The combination of simple construction and quality materials is really worth their higher price point. The coralife ones are, frankly, just cheap. Jebao will cost you just as much in the long run when you inevitably have to buy it three times.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is their “500 gallon” rating is for single celled algae control in a freshwater tank. I wouldn’t use this on larger than a 50 to 100 gallon marine tank.

Side stream UV is not a good control method for marine ich unless combined with other techniques outlined here:

Even then, control is never assured….quarantine is a surer method of control.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So first - the manufacturers stats are when the bulb is first installed - then you have to follow the maintenance and cleaning requirement - otherwise that level quickly drops. I have seen people using pool-rated (i.e. swimming pool) UV in tanks that were *maybe a little above* your size

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really happy with my Aqua UV 25w. From what I’ve always heard and believed, UV doesn’t “kill” it renders living organisms and parasites and pods “sterile”. Although they all live to see another day, they’ll have no more offspring.

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the unit I just installed ( 120 watt pro-MAX high output UV ) on my 230 gallon tank.

There are many great features like price-frequently on sale, amalgam bulb, and last but not least a replaceable inner liner. The replaceable inner lining is especially important I believe. This is because all plastics will breakdown over time to high output UV.

Here is a link to it.
Best of luck to you and yours.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really happy with my Aqua UV 25w. From what I’ve always heard and believed, UV doesn’t “kill” it renders living organisms and parasites and pods “sterile”. Although they all live to see another day, they’ll have no more offspring.
UV can damage or kill bacteria depending on the exposure time etc

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV can damage or kill you depending on the exposure time etc

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back