Still battling cyano...

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have been battling a pretty bad cyano problem for the last year.

I posted here a few months ago for advise and since then I have increased my nitrate and phosphate from undetectable levels to now 2.5ppm nitrates and 0.03ppm phosphate. I also dosed 10ml of microbacter7 daily for about a month.

Unfortunately my cyano has become even worse and I am not sure what to do now. I have bought an antibiotic cyano treatment from blue life and I am thinking about using it unless someone has any other suggestions as to how I can battle this cyano. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used chemiclean and it worked very well. Maybe try that. But it might stress some of your coral. My zoa turned kinda weird but it returned to normal. It's probably the best way to get rid of cyano unless you take lots of time and do it naturally by removing it and dosing you normal bacteria. My friend did it for 8 months.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More flow will help if you don't have enough. And I have always gotten rid by keeping nitrate's steady. Maybe reduce feeding. and chemiclean will work great but it's just a bandaid until you figure out the cause.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might just try the cyanorx product by blue life as I have heard good things about it.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cyano for months, even tried chemiclean a few months back only to have it come back. Then I started dosing Hydrogen Peroxide at 1 ml for 10 gallon 6% every 12 hours and in 5 days it was all gone. I have clams, shrimp, fish and corals - no issues with any of it.
Given this I have even ordered an oxidator so I can slow dose peroxide.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cyano remedies are antibiotics. Erythromycin. They won't affect your nitrifying bacteria, but will hammer many other bacterias including obviously cyano.

Some of those affected bacteria compete for surface space with dinoflagellates (like cyano does). Before dosing antibiotics, be certain you have sufficient levels of PO4 and NO3. Otherwise, odds are good I will see you over in the "are you tired" dino thread along with hundreds of other reefers.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for all your replies, I have been reading more about hydrogen peroxide and I think I might try it out. Was thinking of starting out dosing 1ml per 10 gallons of water volume once or twice a day.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for all your replies, I have been reading more about hydrogen peroxide and I think I might try it out. Was thinking of starting out dosing 1ml per 10 gallons of water volume once or twice a day.

twice a day is better. I used 6%, but if you are going to use 3% you could go higher than 1ml per 10 gallon.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find anything that worked for you outside of dosing chemiclean? I can't get the stuff to go away. Chemiclean works, but it just comes back after a while. Its so difficult to control and its everywhere.

Attachments

• 20210908_152548.jpg
    20210908_152548.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 22

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fixed, message him for follow ups

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s impractical for large reefs but for 50s and smaller it’s best beast mode available. Mega fed up folks do this in 120’s :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back