Still battling GHA

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cover any powerheads in your tank. I've had nothing but bad luck with seahares, hope it works for you!

knukles55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've battled this for six months now tried vodka, gfo, changing t5 bulbs and nothing....... so I decided to run phosguard and skim wet so far so good algae growth has gone bald in some places and isn't growing as fast

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to see theyre eating it up and its working but until you take care of the food source, the GHA will just come back. GHA growing mostly on the sand tells me youre not cleaning your sand well enough. what you could do is swap your sand bend. this was the steps I took when I had a gha outbreak in my 29.

• drained the water down low enough that most of the rock was exposed, but the fish had room to swim. probably left 3-4 inches of water in the bottom. now I was bare bottom so I didn't have to swap sand.
  • sprayed 3% undiluted h2o2 on all the GHA, not just a mist either... I soaked it. waited 2 minutes and sprayed it again.
  • scrubbed as much of the algae off as I could with a stiff bristle brush.
  • sprayed yet again with h2o2. (at this point my tank had been drained about about 8 minutes and my coral had been exposed the whole time)
  • refilled the tank with clean water and left the lights off to allow the tank to settle before being blasted with light again. figured it was stressed enough.
lights turned on the next day and I swear there was no algae left and it never came back.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to see theyre eating it up and its working but until you take care of the food source, the GHA will just come back. GHA growing mostly on the sand tells me youre not cleaning your sand well enough. what you could do is swap your sand bend. this was the steps I took when I had a gha outbreak in my 29.

• drained the water down low enough that most of the rock was exposed, but the fish had room to swim. probably left 3-4 inches of water in the bottom. now I was bare bottom so I didn't have to swap sand.
  • sprayed 3% undiluted h2o2 on all the GHA, not just a mist either... I soaked it. waited 2 minutes and sprayed it again.
  • scrubbed as much of the algae off as I could with a stiff bristle brush.
  • sprayed yet again with h2o2. (at this point my tank had been drained about about 8 minutes and my coral had been exposed the whole time)
  • refilled the tank with clean water and left the lights off to allow the tank to settle before being blasted with light again. figured it was stressed enough.
lights turned on the next day and I swear there was no algae left and it never came back.
You can spray Peroxide directly into the tank and not rinse it off? I had no idea you could do that. It doesn't affect anything?

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to do that...

Regarding the sand bed, I was always told not to disturb a sand bed. But now so many people are telling me to clean it. I don't know what to believe!

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can spray Peroxide directly into the tank and not rinse it off? I had no idea you could do that. It doesn't affect anything?
yeah, IME it can cause slight PH issues while it mixes in with the rest of the water but ive never had any problems with it.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, IME it can cause slight PH issues while it mixes in with the rest of the water but ive never had any problems with it.
That is good to know! Ph higher or lower? Of course I tremble at the thought of draining down my 75 that low, but it could be done! Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back