Still struggling with dinos, need advice please!

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know for sure but I don’t think pods die from the Dinos. I saw them cleaning my glass when I had them. I still have pods and the Dino are gone. Dino is definitely ugly, as far as I can tell I’ve not lost any livestock to them.
my livestock are doing great fish are fat and healthy. corals are growing. just disgusting to see. with the new tank I'm going to be making sure I keep a close eye on my po4 and no3 in the beginning.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^Agreed. Dump em in. I thought they ate dinos... I say add em all. :) They'll definitely still be there when you're done with your battle. I had similiar worries at one time
I've dosed tigger pods twice now. haven't committed to spending $40 on shipping from algae barn so been buying the pods from my lfs.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed tigger pods twice now. haven't committed to spending $40 on shipping from algae barn so been buying the pods from my lfs.
Omg the money I spent on pods from AB and my LFS....coulda had a better setup! lol I can't hate tho, maybe it got me through the ugly stage (although I was trying a lot of different things at that time so who knows exactly). You can definitely culture them pretty easy tho. I did that for about a few months using the tigger pods from reefnutrition

these helped with that

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg the money I spent on pods from AB and my LFS....coulda had a better setup! lol I can't hate tho, maybe it got me through the ugly stage (although I was trying a lot of different things at that time so who knows exactly). You can definitely culture them pretty easy tho. I did that for about a few months using the tigger pods from reefnutrition

these helped with that

thanks for the link. will take a look into it. I already culture phyto.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my only issue right now anyway is that I'm literally transferring all this stuff to a 40g in a month. if anything I'll buy pods to seed the new tank.
Just a heads up, you will also be transferring the Dinos to the new tank. No way around it that I know of.

What rock will you be adding to the 40?

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, you will also be transferring the Dinos to the new tank. No way around it that I know of.

What rock will you be adding to the 40?
dry rock. I'm ready for the uglies. and honestly the dinos don't grow much on my rocks. it's mostly in my sand bed. very minimal dinos on the rocks.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand isnt getting transfered. I'm using new sand.
If it was me, I would not add sand at all to the new setup. Make sure the Dinos are gone and everything stabilized. Then add the sand later. Why? IMO sand is a breeding ground for Dinos.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I would not add sand at all to the new setup. Make sure the Dinos are gone and everything stabilized. Then add the sand later. Why? IMO sand is a breeding ground for Dinos.
This is an interesting approach. Especially if they're the type that retreat into the sandbed at night... Not a bad Idea!

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my only thought with adding sand after is that it actually may throw off things. if the tank is established and then I add sand won't that mess with the stability of the tank from that point on? and I anticipate that I may get dinos, but I feel like if I everything is cleaned before the new tank and I don't let phosphates or nitrates drop after it's cycled I feel like the dinos shouldn't populate to the point theyre at now.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.05 PO4 is the issue.

That needs to come up to around 0.1 or higher.

The idea behind increasing nutrients is to grow algae to outcomepte the dinos for space. Yoiur not going to grow much algae at .05. If you read the massive dino thread, you'll see this is the typical recommendation.

Depending on the test kit your using, that .05 may very well be within the margin of error for the test and actually still be 0.

Are you sure it's dino's and not cyano? By the description of it not being on your rock and only the sandbed, I wonder if it's dino's at all?

Dino's typically cover everything, and do not just stay on the sandbed. Cyano on the other hand, can and will stay on the sandbed if your sandbed is a nutrient sink.

I've dealt with every form of dino's over the years, that's how I know how to treat them.

Pics of the tank would help get a correct ID. And if it is truly dino's, the microscope will get a proper ID on the type, and then you can form a battle plan.

While vetteguy usually give solid info, I completely disagree with his assessment of dino therapy.

Steve Tung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so I've read so many threads on dinos.

my current parameters are
.05 po4
5 nitrate
1.025 salinity
8.5 alk
430 calcium

I have been dosing mb7 and seachem pristine on opposing days. I run uv sterilizer at night (free floating dinos). my lights arent on that strong (250 par at the top of the tank)

I did a blackout a few weeks ago. I dosed hydrogen peroxide during that time.

I clean the tank daily and remove filter floss.

still cannot for the life of me figure out why I haven't seen a reduction in dinos despite this.

it hasn't been a short amount of time either. I know this can take a while to figure out, but I assumed by now I would have less buildup. they seem a bit less stringy now, but that's about it.

any advice would be appreciated. I'm not defeated, but just hate having to clean like crazy daily.
Just install a strong UV , Dino will be gone

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.05 PO4 is the issue.

That needs to come up to around 0.1 or higher.

The idea behind increasing nutrients is to grow algae to outcomepte the dinos for space. Yoiur not going to grow much algae at .05. If you read the massive dino thread, you'll see this is the typical recommendation.

Depending on the test kit your using, that .05 may very well be within the margin of error for the test and actually still be 0.

Are you sure it's dino's and not cyano? By the description of it not being on your rock and only the sandbed, I wonder if it's dino's at all?

Dino's typically cover everything, and do not just stay on the sandbed. Cyano on the other hand, can and will stay on the sandbed if your sandbed is a nutrient sink.

I've dealt with every form of dino's over the years, that's how I know how to treat them.

Pics of the tank would help get a correct ID. And if it is truly dino's, the microscope will get a proper ID on the type, and then you can form a battle plan.

While vetteguy usually give solid info, I completely disagree with his assessment of dino therapy.
thanks. I am actually starting to get hair algae currently. and I will update here tomorrow when my microscope comes in. my wife cleaned the tank for me today so I cant snag a picture today.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues from the temp increase. I also shut down my Blue led bars and only ran T5, which is contrary to a lot of the advice I read about running only blues. Dino’s tended to grow on the glass with the LED bars.
yeah I get them on the glass, takes a few days to populate there though.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back