stirring chemical.. which ones?

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am designing the cabinet of my new tank, and I would like to know what kind of additives actually require stirring (every so often or more frequently) or if there is any additive which should definitely NOT be stirred?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few additives require stirring. Those that do are slurries of solids in water. Anything that is fully dissolved chemical needs no stirring.

None are hurt by stirring, unless that heats them up substantially.

What are you dosing?

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on dosing the classic 2 part + trace elements, as I said in a previous post, I am debating between ESV + trace or BRS/TM with trace elements. I also dose vinegar. I asked because now I am dosing red sea Alk/Ca and found that they are pretty tick and tend to settle a bit

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on dosing the classic 2 part + trace elements, as I said in a previous post, I am debating between ESV + trace or BRS/TM with trace elements. I also dose vinegar. I asked because now I am dosing red sea Alk/Ca and found that they are pretty tick and tend to settle a bit

Alk and calcium additives do not settle out if made properly and do not require stirring.

Some alkalinity additives are near their solubility limit, and if they get cold, can precipitate. The solution is not stirring during dosing, but warming it up to redissolve, or adding more water, if needed.

Typically, some alk and calcium solutions may have a small amount of fine solid precipitates which are impurities, not what you want to dose.

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and calcium additives do not settle out if made properly and do not require stirring.

Some alkalinity additives are near their solubility limit, and if they get cold, can precipitate. The solution is not stirring during dosing, but warming it up to redissolve, or adding more water, if needed.

Typically, some alk and calcium solutions may have a small amount of fine solid precipitates which are impurities, not what you want to dose.
My containers of Alk and Ca from red sea (A and B). Always had some sediment, I always shake it to “make it dissolve”. I didn’t know they were impurities, I will now stop doing that then

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My containers of Alk and Ca from red sea (A and B). Always had some sediment, I always shake it to “make it dissolve”. I didn’t know they were impurities, I will now stop doing that then

That sounds best. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back