STN help

Sage Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some advice. Had a temp spike in the tank yesterday and one of my sps has STN I believe from a couple of tips. I've tried removing the flaking tissue. Is there anything I can do to stop it advancing or may it have halted by itself and is it healable.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture? Generally speaking, I would keep a very close watch and monitor it aggressively. If you notice the STN is progressing, you may want to consider fragging. I would personally only frag it as a last resort. Are you 100% positive the temp is what did it? How much of a temp swing was it? You want to confirm it was absolutely the temp and not something else you might have over looked that is causing the STN; otherwise you're assuming the threat/cause has been corrected when in reality it may not have been.

OP
OP
Sage Robinson

Sage Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it was temp related the spike was just over a degree C above normal and it was water change day so I had tested everything that morning. Have checked alk and salinity since and they are normal. So far it looks like it has stopped pealing and its had its polyps out.
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, you'd think if that was the cause that it would have affected your other colonies. Good sign the polyps are coming back out, likely to recover. Any chance a fish or invert took a nibble?

OP
OP
Sage Robinson

Sage Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible tho there's only a couple of clownfish and a cleaner shrimp in there at the moment and given the timing. Hopefully it recovers tho, appreciate all the help [emoji4]

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back