Stock Tank Sumps

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchased a new house and I’ve been debating on plumbing my new take to the basement and using a Rubbermaid stock tank as a sump. My plan is to use a 50 gallon stock tank for a sump, which will house the skimmer and all the other goodies and return line back to the tank. I will use another 50 gallon for a refugium and a 150 gallon full of rock. That will run off the main 50 gallon sump.

I plan on this system connecting to a 150 gallon display tank?

Do you think this will work out? Do you have any suggestions?

flyinbryan4295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have a return pump that can handle the head, you should be fine. Also, im not sure what part of the country youre in, but here in Michigan, basements can get pretty cool in the winter, so youll need enough heater to keep the tank warm.

OP
OP
Savo

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have a return pump that can handle the head, you should be fine. Also, im not sure what part of the country youre in, but here in Michigan, basements can get pretty cool in the winter, so youll need enough heater to keep the tank warm.
It will have a ductless heat pump and ac.

Hendrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original build was similar to your plan and here Is my feedback.
- Made a for a good strong solid sump.
- I replaced it with a white sump so I could see detritus and other than thingis hidden by dark color of stock tank.
- I replaced refugium and used a 125 Gallon glass tank to see in the refugium better.
- I replaced the rock in my rock sump with marine pure blocks in my refugium and hidden in display

I like my new setup better, if you see it you address it. If it's hidden, you don address it

315wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 150 for my 315 and its worked out well, you can make custom baffles it just tracks more work to trace the shape.

OP
OP
Savo

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original build was similar to your plan and here Is my feedback.
- Made a for a good strong solid sump.
- I replaced it with a white sump so I could see detritus and other than thingis hidden by dark color of stock tank.
- I replaced refugium and used a 125 Gallon glass tank to see in the refugium better.
- I replaced the rock in my rock sump with marine pure blocks in my refugium and hidden in display

I like my new setup better, if you see it you address it. If it's hidden, you don address it
I could use a 40 gallon breeder for the refugium and replace the sump with a white 2x4 hydroponics flood table and keep the 150 gallon stock tank for extra rock. Do you think this would be better?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back