Stock tank sumps

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use a stock tank as a sump for my future 300g. I am thinking a 100g or 150g should work. However, I am unsure about the sections or how I should section the tank for return/fuge/overflow etc.. I would love to see what others have done. I appreciate the info!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build my sumps using Aqueon tanks. The plastic frame along the top can make it a bit challenging for things that attach to the edge like float valves, but, with their variety of sizes, you can certainly find one with a footprint to work for your design.

I typically divide my sumps into three sections:

Section 1: This location is where I keep most of the live rock require for the tank. It includes a PVC frame on top of which rests a piece of egg crate for filter media.

Section 2: This location is where I build my refugium.

Section 3: This location houses my return pumps and skimmer. Also my float valve for ATO and pH probe.

Dom

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason to section a sump is to try to prevent micro bubbles from getting into your display tank. There is literally no other reason. I personally use a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank as my sump. I just have live rock in mine, no sections at all. With a larger sump, you should be able to get your intake far enough away to keep micro bubbles out. If you do want to set up a fuge in it, you can just use some egg crate to section off an area to keep the chaeto out of your pump. Personally, if you have enough room for a 150 gallon stock tank, I would use a remote refugium. I use a 40 gallon breeder as my remote fuge and I just use the 150 strictly as a sump. Double benefit of adding more volume to your system.
img_5977-1-jpg.1505034

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did it now it would look different. I kind of made this up as I went along.
IMG_2997_heic-L.jpg

My tank drains enter the top 40 gallon stock tank. I have 2 drains from the top tank to the bottom. I installed my UV in the full siphon one. That discharges into a filter sock holder I made.
The top tank has a standpipe that controls how deep water level is for the skimmer. My ATO senses the water level in the bottom tank and does AWC for me. I am running ozone in the Lifereef skimmer in the bottom.
My GFO reactor siphons from the top to the bottom. The biopellet reactor sits in the top tank. There is pobably 80 pounds of rock in the bottom pushed to the back, return pumps and heaters laying around in the bottom.
I found I didnt need any baffles. My fuge is the 30 gallon tank on the side.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back