stocking 46 gal

sadness child

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 gal bowfront and I do not know exactly how to stock it, but have ideas I know that there are to many fish on the list so I was hoping you guys could help

It will be a reef tank

(1) Pygmy Cherub Angel
(1) Pygmy Yellowtail Angelfish
(1) Freckled Hawkfish
(1) Green Canary Blenny
(1) Sleeper Gold Head Goby
(3) Zebra Barred Dartfish
(3) Firefish
(3) Black Axil Chromis
(1) Whitetail Dottyback
(1) Pair of Clownfish
(3) Pajama Cardinals

Thank You for the help

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from angels,if you plan to have corals..Would consider a tang,for allergy..but only one as they are very territorial... Hawkfish or wrasse is good for worms...Goby is ok but watch out as they are known to be tank jumppers..plus they wont live long due to diet...
Clowns are great,so are PJ cardinals...
46 Gal ,i would only recomend about 4-7 fish... but that would depend on filtration... Hope this helps...Fish On...

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also recommend if you are just getting started to track your progress...A great app that i use ,is aquarium note..allows you to track your fish and water settings...costs and loads of other stuff ...its available for android and apple phones...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 gal bowfront and I do not know exactly how to stock it, but have ideas I know that there are to many fish on the list so I was hoping you guys could help

It will be a reef tank

(1) Pygmy Cherub Angel --- I would not with corals.
(1) Pygmy Yellowtail Angelfish --- I would not with corals.
(1) Freckled Hawkfish --- Careful with most hawkfish as they will eat shrimp, I had good luck with the Falco.
(1) Green Canary Blenny --- Do not know much about. Most blennies are fun, but can had diet restrictions.
(1) Sleeper Gold Head Goby --- Bit too small of a tank due to sandbed not having enough food. FYI I would get something like a watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair instead. Along with a conch and some nassarius, cerith snails.
(3) Zebra Barred Dartfish --- I like these, but not sure if 3 in a 46 will work. They can get territorial FMU.
(3) Firefish --- Cool and peaceful!
(3) Black Axil Chromis --- I do not like chromis or damsels in a small tank due to aggression when older. One that may work is Kupangs. They are somewhat peaceful and small and very colorful. So can add more to even out aggression.
(1) Whitetail Dottyback ---Dottybacks are always a crap shoot with territory. If this is your only one, should be fine. I have a sunrise and is so far a great fish. Captive bred also!
(1) Pair of Clownfish --- Always good, but make sure to add them last if a current pair. If juveniles, make sure to add all fish prior to them pairing and laying eggs. Know, as they mature, they will become territorial and bite you.
(3) Pajama Cardinals ---Good peaceful. Should be fine in 3.

Thank You for the help
Some times people will only comment on the fish they have personal experience with. That is a good thing. :)

OP
OP
S

sadness child

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the current stocking list:

1 Extreme Misbar Clownfish
1 Percula Clownfish
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Frekled Hawkfish
1 Green Canary Blenny
1 Yellow Watchman Goby with Red Banded Snapping Shrimp
1 Zebra Barred Dartfish
1 Firefish
3 Pajama Cardinals
1 Blackfin McCosker's Flasher

What do you think about the Red Knob Starfish

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 fish in a 46 gallon tank is a LOT. I think most people would recommend limiting yourself to five or 6 at most, added one at a time over the course of a few months. LiveAquaria says that McCoskers Flasher Weasses need a 55 gallon tank at a minimum. I don’t have personal experience with any kind of wrasse. The rest of your fish are ok in a 46 gallon tank on an individual level. I don’t think you can fit your whole list in.

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 bowfront aswell and currently only have 4 fish in it. I had 6 at one point, but found they were fighting for space alot. I would keep the numbers down to keep the happier

OP
OP
S

sadness child

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Pair of Clownfish
1 Green Canary Blenny
1 Hawkfish
1 Watchman Goby with Snapping Shrimp
3 Pajama Cardinals

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much more doable. Just make sure to add the shrimp and goby long before the hawkfish. That way they are settled before any chance of hawkfish trying to eat the shrimp. Good Luck!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add it first and you have a better chance. Depends on size of both and personality. My hawkfish (Falco) did not eat shrimp, but at the time, I did not have any for him to eat either. He was lost in my tank move, but a cool fish.

OP
OP
S

sadness child

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go with the Falco Hawkfish because the other hawkfish are said to grow 6 to 9 inches, other than the flame hawkfish witch cost 65 dollars

OP
OP
S

sadness child

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the COVID 19 I have not been able to set up the reef tank so I was looking around and saw a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish and an Antennata Lionfish, I was wondering if That would work in the 46 gal tank

I am still getting Clowns, so I was thinking about Maroon or Cinnamon Clown fish due to there size
I was also thinking about a Saddleback Valentini Puffer
and what about a 5" to 8" Snowflake Eel

Also if I have the lionfish and puffer what will my CUC be
I also plan on getting an anemone for the clowns

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back