stocking 46 gal

Cannons Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I did not think that I could put a tang in that small of a tank

i have an yellow eyed kole tang in my 46 gallon bow front reef tank and he is doing really well. The only problem with tangs is that you have to feed them a lot of seaweed if there is not a lot of algae on the rocks for them to eat.

Seffner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I do know from experience that Maroon Clowns can get fairly big and they can get mean! I'm just going on what I've read up on, but I don't think the lionfish or puffer are necessarily the worst choices, but the lionfish may eat smaller fish, and the puffer is potentially a threat to any shrimp. I don't know that I would try the eel, they seem to be an even bigger threat to eat smaller fish and any crustaceans. At this point, I think I would err on the side of caution and look for other fish.

I'm really impressed at how you have not just asked for advice, but it seems you've made adjustments to your plan based on some good advice. If you overstock, it's more likely there will be aggressive behavior by many of the fish, and that causes stress with leads to problems.

I'm still new to this too, but I would search through the forums or type the name of each fish you are considering in the search block at the top right of the page. It will list the different threads concerning that fish.

Finally, in the Meet and Greet Forum, there are instructions to include #reefsquad and someone should respond.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the COVID 19 I have not been able to set up the reef tank so I was looking around and saw a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish and an Antennata Lionfish, I was wondering if That would work in the 46 gal tank

I am still getting Clowns, so I was thinking about Maroon or Cinnamon Clown fish due to there size
I was also thinking about a Saddleback Valentini Puffer
and what about a 5" to 8" Snowflake Eel

Also if I have the lionfish and puffer what will my CUC be
I also plan on getting an anemone for the clowns

Your list in post #14 looks good to me.

You'll have to decide what kind of tank you want. The fuzzy dwarf lion would be fine. Antennatas get a little bigger, so I probably wouldn't recommend that.

I wouldn't do the eel. A snowflake will get large for that tank size. A golden dwarf would work, but they are quite expensive.

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of fish, those lions get to around 7”. Also what are the dimensions of the bow front? The only benefit the eel would have is to clean up after the battle royal happens. With that said it’s a 2’ eel and an absolute escape artist, I literally saw one come half out Of the open top when the guy turned around while feeding it to grab the tongs. Plus those are all extremely heavy eaters and are going to be messy when doing so, you levels will climb without a doubt.

I would pick 1-2 centerpiece fish depending on dimensions, so the eel or a lion fish would be a solid start. Not trying to be mean, just want to give you the info I have. I’m sure some one else will kick in with their experience as well.

OP
OP
S

sadness child

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have come back with a new list that might happen I am close to selling all of my fish in my 46 gal. Then I will be able to start the process of building the reef tank.

1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Blackline Blenny
1 Purple Stripe Dottyback
1 Green Clown Goby
1 Caribbean Redspotted Hawkfish
1 Pair of Misbar Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Firefish

Is there a more active fish that will swim around more than the other fish that hang out around the rocks

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back