stocking 500g

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,
As I'm preparing to start the build of this 500G monster in my living room, I'm really working on stocking this and planning out the quarantine (or buying quarantined fish).

In my prior large SPS tanks (large, being 200g approx), I had a school of Zoramia leptacantha (see image), then a few tangs, a pair of clowns, a few reef safe wrasses, and maybe an anthias or two.

Now that I'm doubling the length to 10' and have a LOT more space, I really want to consider how to stock this, stocking order, and how to achieve all of that in an efficient way. The tank will have old rock from a prior system and so cycling should not be too large of an issue. Fish that are already coming are a power blue tang, GSM clowns (who can be re-homed to an anemone tank, purple tang, yellow tang, a few small wrasses.

So - I'd like to have a show tang (or equivalent) - something like (no pic) an amazing unicorn tang I saw while diving in Hawaii - it must have had 5 inch streamers...simply amazing! Id consider a sohal, vlamingi, naso, etc. Suggestions are welcomed!

I love angels - and worth the risk, in my opinion, in an SPS reef, and a regal is at the top of the list. I have previously owned a majestic and emperor's.

dwarf angels are also amazing...and I'd like a harem of them - I've seen a flame tank with like 5 of them, that was really cool. Thoughts?

Shoaling/schooling fish - see my image, but interested in any suggestions/images that would be a fit - these guys with their blue eye were cool, but a little bland, overall on color.

Anthias - I mean, who does not love a mass of pink and orange lyretails. Any other thoughts on these?

Wrasses - I'd love a few leopards, maybe just one species? Or get a leopard or two, and then some fairy wrasses? I have honestly never kept fairy wrasses, so recommendations are welcomed.

Butterflies - I have almost always had a copperband - but I love the pyramid - how do these do with a group of 3-10 of them?

Ok, so many thoughts - any input is welcomed, but hope to start narrowing down this list to some key choices. From there, will determine how to QT and then introduce in order. Any fish that I have not listed but are recommended, please advise! Unusual fish are welcome!

Tangs - 5-7 tangs
dwarf angel - 5
small shoaling fish - 25-40
anthias - 15?
wrasses - 10
butterflies - 5
Others?

DSC_0978.JPG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend some azure damsels 4-6 in a tank that size as they will spread out and offer a great pop of color without being very aggressive. I would also suggest a group of royal grammas 3-7 as they will also have some great color and some interesting behaviors as they will form a group of territories and a pecking order. Both are relatively peaceful towards other fish which is also a plus.

OP
OP
K

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
loved royal grammas - I had 3 in a 40 breeder that were laying eggs every few weeks. I totally agree that I should add that, maybe in quite large numbers!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back