Stocking 75g assistance

LayT27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R needing some assistance on stocking for my tank. I need a “show” fish and possibly some either schooling fish or just ones that will do well in a reef tank. I know my options are limited with a small tank.

Stocking:
2 yellow tail damsels
4 green chromis
1 Melanarus wrasse
1 clown with anenome
1 cleaner shrimp.
A few soft coral polyps along with a hammer coral and a Duncan.
so they need to be reef safe.

im thinking of a Tomini tang for sure but maybe some pajama Cardinals?

thanks in advance.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also thinking of a tomini tang for my 75g... good choice.

The chromis are questionable... high risk since they do dwindle their numbers down, especially in a smaller tank, and have a huge chance to bring uronema into your system... if getting them, definitely quarantine a month or so before moving them into your main tank!

I have 3 orange striped cardinals that are pretty.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomoni tangs are great, I had love to have active fish in my tank such as a blue cleaner wrasse even though they may not get the biggest. A anthias of some sort and you could never go wrong with a mandarin in your tank as long as it has plenty of pods and is very stable

OP
OP
L

LayT27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also thinking of a tomini tang for my 75g... good choice.

The chromis are questionable... high risk since they do dwindle their numbers down, especially in a smaller tank, and have a huge chance to bring uronema into your system... if getting them, definitely quarantine a month or so before moving them into your main tank!

I have 3 orange striped cardinals that are pretty.
I already have the green chromis established in the system. So I should be good there.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the green chromis established in the system. So I should be good there.
Agree w others about Tomini. Pajama cardinal doesn't swim around much as they are nocturnal so some folks find them boring. Most tanks eventually end up w one chromis as they kill each other off, but who knows - perhaps u may be one of the lucky with shoal of chromis.

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good, just a few thoughts of mine.
I would definitely add a tang to keep hair algae under control as well as get a lot of movement in the tank.

Personally damsels will get aggressive and territorial in the tank if you add them in the beginning. I would add them last due to aggression.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R needing some assistance on stocking for my tank. I need a “show” fish and possibly some either schooling fish or just ones that will do well in a reef tank. I know my options are limited with a small tank.

Stocking:
2 yellow tail damsels
4 green chromis
1 Melanarus wrasse
1 clown with anenome
1 cleaner shrimp.
A few soft coral polyps along with a hammer coral and a Duncan.
so they need to be reef safe.

im thinking of a Tomini tang for sure but maybe some pajama Cardinals?

thanks in advance.
Great stocking. I would probably add 2 clownfish, but the tomini or kole tangs are very nice. Dont have one, but I would suggest, they are voracious algae eaters. Wish I could keep a baby in my 20g. Got a bicolor blenny though, he eats a few little mini frozen shrimps but basically munches on the abundant hair algae whenever hes hungry.

OP
OP
L

LayT27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stocking. I would probably add 2 clownfish, but the tomini or kole tangs are very nice. Dont have one, but I would suggest, they are voracious algae eaters. Wish I could keep a baby in my 20g. Got a bicolor blenny though, he eats a few little mini frozen shrimps but basically munches on the abundant hair algae whenever hes hungry.
If I was to add a 2nd clown, should I add another anemone too since the clownfish that is currently in my tank is paired up with one?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to add a 2nd clown, should I add another anemone too since the clownfish that is currently in my tank is paired up with one?
Wait 2nd clown? Wouldnt that be 3rd? If you already have 1 pair of 2 clownfish, do not add another one.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, never have an off number of clowns.

I would not even add a second pair.
I would never do three. I would do either 2 clowns, 5 clowns or more. Not alone, not 3, the pair would bully the single clown, and 4 is just awkward.
I love clowns so a harem tank is on my reefing bucket list.

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would never do three. I would do either 2 clowns, 5 clowns or more. Not alone, not 3, the pair would bully the single clown, and 4 is just awkward.
I love clowns so a harem tank is on my reefing bucket list.
100%, in some circumstances you can have 2 pairs but only if you have a big tank with a lot of room for hiding.

In a 75g definitely no more than a pair or two.

It would be awesome if you did a harem tank. I love clowns as well I never really thought of doing a harem tank due to my other tanks.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100%, in some circumstances you can have 2 pairs but only if you have a big tank with a lot of room for hiding.

In a 75g definitely no more than a pair or two.

It would be awesome if you did a harem tank. I love clowns as well I never really thought of doing a harem tank due to my other tanks.
75g would probably be fine for a smaller harem, but they would all have to have been introduced at the same time, and be the same species/design.
Smth like 200g-300g is probably fine for 2 separate pairs.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i have one single maroon clown with an anenome. I dont have a pair of clowns
If you already have a maroon I would probably just try to get another maroon, you could try a pair of ocellaris's but the maroon may just bully both of them.

OP
OP
L

LayT27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have a maroon I would probably just try to get another maroon, you could try a pair of ocellaris's but the maroon may just bully both of them.
Thanks for the ideas. I went and got a Tomini tang. I was able to keep the salt tank going during all the black outs last week. went 5 days without power and water. trying to catch up with the water changes cause i usually do a 5gallon change on the system every other day. I ended up losing my torch coral but other than that, everything is going well.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas. I went and got a Tomini tang. I was able to keep the salt tank going during all the black outs last week. went 5 days without power and water. trying to catch up with the water changes cause i usually do a 5gallon change on the system every other day. I ended up losing my torch coral but other than that, everything is going well.
Good to hear, sorry about the torch. Im surprised we havent gotten any blackouts yet in mid-Ontario, usually by this time we would have had at least 3.

OP
OP
L

LayT27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, sorry about the torch. Im surprised we havent gotten any blackouts yet in mid-Ontario, usually by this time we would have had at least 3.
Well that winter stoem knocked power out in the entire state of Texas. It was madness. thank god for generators or I would have lost 3 tanks instead of just 1.

My question now is...what to add next :D I added some euphyllia corals a few weeks ago (hammer, frogspawn and the torch) so Im liking the way its going so far. The tomini tang was the perfect addition. I've read not to mix tangs though because I though of adding a scopas tang. The consensus I've seen is that dwarf angels are too risky as they may eat the coral but man do i love the flame angel lol.

I say scopas because I do plan on either building a 280gal plywood tank or just upgrading to a 200+gal tank at some point this year.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back