Stocking a 8 gallon reef...

TuckerMCW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Friends!

I'm here looking for opinions as to what to stock in my 8 gallon reef tank. Mainly curious about fish, as the coral side has already been decided. I'm thinking either a shrimp / goby pair, or maybe a geometric pygmy hawkfish? Maybe a few hector's gobys?

On the shrimp / goby size, what species would you recommend together? I'd like them to pair up if at all possible.

One final thing, what would ya'll recommend for a CuC? I was thinking a few snails and maybe a crab or two.

Thanks!

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Friends!

I'm here looking for opinions as to what to stock in my 8 gallon reef tank. Mainly curious about fish, as the coral side has already been decided. I'm thinking either a shrimp / goby pair, or maybe a geometric pygmy hawkfish? Maybe a few hector's gobys?

On the shrimp / goby size, what species would you recommend together? I'd like them to pair up if at all possible.

One final thing, what would ya'll recommend for a CuC? I was thinking a few snails and maybe a crab or two.

Thanks!
I would say get 3 or 4 snails forget the hermits. Go for a shrimp goby pair 1.5-2" for the goby for the shrimp go small, the shrimp will burrow everywhere so make sure your rockwork is stabilized and keep corals you don't want burried away from the sandbed.

Last edited:

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a successful pairing of a watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp. They dig up everywhere they can. If by crabs you meant emerald I wouldn’t recommend them, they can cause too much chaos knocking things around.

OP
OP
TuckerMCW

TuckerMCW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a successful pairing of a watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp. They dig up everywhere they can. If by crabs you meant emerald I wouldn’t recommend them, they can cause too much chaos knocking things around.
Noted, I have noticed that in my DT

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard they make a good pair but I think they get pretty big for an 8 gallon.

OP
OP
TuckerMCW

TuckerMCW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yasha goby and candy cane shrimp pair they are amazing definitely recommend
Might have to do this. DO you buy them paired (like some clowns?), or will they just meet up in the tank? Is anything special needed for them to pair up?

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have to do this. DO you buy them paired (like some clowns?), or will they just meet up in the tank? Is anything special needed for them to pair up?
Buying them paired is a more sure way of doing it but you can get them separately and have success, but that way is just not a given, usually works but there is a chance it might end in disaster.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know LA sells them together but I'm not sure if they are paired. I bought mine from different places and they pair within an hour.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 gallon tank puts a lot of restrictions on what you should get. Make sure to check into the fish you're considering on a site like liveaquaria for a ball park of recommended tank sizes.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7516.JPG

Copepods and an eyepiece. Hours of family entertainment when you give a name to each Pod

Last edited:
Back