Stocking a 85.3 Waterbox

Concord Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a Waterbox 85.3 and looking for stocking recommendations - was considering the following.

1609009231881.png

Also curious as to thoughts into what order to add these if nothing was to change on the list.

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly will you have a lid? Wrasses, gobies, and bennies will all jump out in a matter of time. Also, that list looks a little overcrowded. I would suggest starting with the tang, clowns, and cardinals and then add more after that once your tank is equipped to handle the bioload.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the footprint is 36 x 24, so I wouldn't do the tang.

Careful with the flasher wrasses, since they will all turn male eventually. You could get more than one of different species, however.

OP
OP
Concord Reefer

Concord Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly will you have a lid? Wrasses, gobies, and bennies will all jump out in a matter of time. Also, that list looks a little overcrowded. I would suggest starting with the tang, clowns, and cardinals and then add more after that once your tank is equipped to handle the bioload.

Yes - my plan is to do a lid - leaning towards D-D jump guard.

I think that list was for a 4' - 55 gallon that I found from a you-tube video by Saltwater Aquarium. My plan is to quarantine all fish for 4-6 weeks in a separate 20 gallon, any new additions would be on that minimum time interval. My concern is with the Tang as the tank is only 3 feet long - I am trying to convince myself that a Tomini Tang would do fine being the smallest and supposedly least aggressive of them.

I suppose if needed once grown out the Tang could be re-homed, maybe an excuse to get a larger tank :D

Appreciate the input and any further advice you may have.

OP
OP
Concord Reefer

Concord Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the footprint is 36 x 24, so I wouldn't do the tang.

Careful with the flasher wrasses, since they will all turn male eventually. You could get more than one of different species, however.

Thanks - the foot print was my concern as well - reading 4' is min for Tangs, but trying to convince myself a Tomini would work but my gut is saying I am looking for trouble.

I was unaware that eventually all the wrasses will turn male, so I could add wrasses from the Cirrhilabrus family just different species? Or do they need to be of different families also. Sorry for the newbie questions.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unaware that eventually all the wrasses will turn male, so I could add wrasses from the Cirrhilabrus family just different species? Or do they need to be of different families also. Sorry for the newbie questions.

So, to be picky, all wrasses are in the same family, Labridae.

The fairy wrasses are in the genus Cirrhilabrus. There are a few that could work in that tank. Some do get too big or aggressive. Some also can't be mixed. Let us know which ones you are thinking.

The flasher wrasses are in the genus Paracheilinus. I believe most of those would work. With flashers, you can mix more than one, but of different species.

OP
OP
Concord Reefer

Concord Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, to be picky, all wrasses are in the same family, Labridae.

The fairy wrasses are in the genus Cirrhilabrus. There are a few that could work in that tank. Some do get too big or aggressive. Some also can't be mixed. Let us know which ones you are thinking.

The flasher wrasses are in the genus Paracheilinus. I believe most of those would work. With flashers, you can mix more than one, but of different species.
Thanks for point me to that information - very informative.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back