Stocking a 90 cube

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build - time to start planning who/what gets to live in it. Definitely looking for input!

I'll be migrating most of the population from my 75, including most of the rock. I'll probably sideline some of the denser base rock in favour of some more porous pieces. All new sand to have something uniform instead of the mix of sand and crushed coral I currently have.

My current list of critters includes the usual collection of blue and red leg hermits, turbos, nassarius and astreas. There's a sand sifting starfish, a brittle star, fire shrimp, and a coral banded shrimp.

-A pistol shrimp and his goby buddy
-A pair of black oscellaris
-black-cap basslet
-kole tang
-6 line wrasse
-pajama cardinal
-purple firefish

I want to add a bubble-tip anemone.
I may or may not keep the kole tang. I probably shouldn't, and already have a holding tank cycling in case I decide to re-home it.
If the Kole tang is out, I might add a one-spot foxface. As far as I've read they need space, but not as much distance as the tang. I'm aware that in a couple of years it may need to be re-home also if it grows too big.
I also want to add a Flame Hawkfish.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a bump for more veiws...

Id say its going to depend on what youd like to keep. Except other wrasses...wont end good if you keep the six line...;)

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a bump for more veiws...

Id say its going to depend on what youd like to keep. Except other wrasses...wont end good if you keep the six line...;)

Thanks for the reminder! I was rather hoping I'd get the chance to pick up a fairy wrasse along the way. Maybe the 6 line will have to move along with the kole.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea to skip the sixline, especially if you want other wrasses.

Most of the list looks okay, including the hawk.

The tang or rabbit will depend on the dimensions. What are the dimensions of the tank?

kaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 93g cube with a very similar stock list. Is your kole acting up or are you just looking for something different? I would be tempted to keep it unless its cause problems, but then again I really like koles.
Also, a lot of hawkfish eat shrimp, so you might want to be careful with that.
Good luck, and enjoy the new build!

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool list, I've been thinking about my stock list for my cube and this has gave me some ideas!
So far I'm thinking:
goby and pistol, pair of clowns and a yellow clown.

I'm really liking the purple firefish and pajama cardinal. Seems i have alot of thinking to do :)

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool list, I've been thinking about my stock list for my cube and this has gave me some ideas!
So far I'm thinking:
goby and pistol, pair of clowns and a yellow clown.

I'm really liking the purple firefish and pajama cardinal. Seems i have alot of thinking to do :)

I definitely recommend the goby/pistol pair, they're fascinating to watch! But - the pistol will kill things. Any wayward snail or crab that wanders into their den is toast. My most recent attempt at having an emerald crab lasted about a month, when I found it dead upside down outside of their hole.

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only thing putting me off of one, i hear that they use snails and crabs and frags to support there tunnels and they are very defensive of there homes. I've read of them killing / stunning fish that get to close also. Apart from that i really want a pair, they are probably top of my list :)

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 93g cube with a very similar stock list. Is your kole acting up or are you just looking for something different? I would be tempted to keep it unless its cause problems, but then again I really like koles.
Also, a lot of hawkfish eat shrimp, so you might want to be careful with that.
Good luck, and enjoy the new build!

The kole is fine in my current 75, as long as there's algae in the clips. If there isn't, he bullies the clownfish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~90 cubes are 30 * 30 * 24

In that case, I wouldn't recommend either the tang or foxface. Something like a flameback angel might be a good option. Or a few wrasses, as have been mentioned.

Back