Stocking help please

Amy82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I currently only have freshwater tanks but hoping to get a saltwater one soon. I know it's while away until I'm organised so getting research sorted. 52 weeks of reefing has been great as well as reading through old posts on here!
I'm looking at a 75 gallon FOWLR tank
No corals for now but perhaps the option of it one day?
So getting a rough idea of what I could stock in the tank. I'd love lots of advice and suggestions even of some other fish so I can research them too. So far this is what I'd like

Watchman Goby x1
Ocellaris Clownfish x1 (would a pair be better?)
Royal Gramma x1
Orchid Dottyback x1
Firefish x1
Bangaii Cardinal x not sure
Cleaner shrimp

I'm really unsure of stocking rates forsaltwater tanks so would love some help on that too please

Or if I should perhaps start smaller like a 32 biocube for a few years til I get the hang of saltwater?

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I don’t think that is too much but I like a busy reef. Just be mindful of your fish and try and watch for signs of stress. That dottyback has a reputation for being a jerk so if your dead set on having one you may want to add him last. Personally I’d leave him out and pick another. Best of luck and post some pics

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for a pair of clowns for sure and skip the dottyback. I’d would get a small tang like a tomini for help with algae control. I would also look into flasher wrasses and maybe small fairies. Be sure to read up on wrasses though if you want some.Good luck!

OP
OP
A

Amy82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it thank you.
I'm happy to not get the Dottyback if I can have the Royal Gramma which I prefer. Just like the purple

I'd love a pair of clowns! Would they be too territorial/aggressive aggressive a pair?
Could I have a few Cardinals?

Will look up the others thank you

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up a baby yellow tang and trade him him in when he gets too big... its better than any of the bristletooth tangs in the long run and it actually tends to adapt to aquariums better. My kole tang on the other hand has barely eaten in 3 weeks.

OP
OP
A

Amy82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should mention I don't want anything that will outgrow the tank. I get a bit attached so don't trade in or move on unless it's for their safety

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it thank you.
I'm happy to not get the Dottyback if I can have the Royal Gramma which I prefer. Just like the purple

I'd love a pair of clowns! Would they be too territorial/aggressive aggressive a pair?
Could I have a few Cardinals?

Will look up the others thank you
The royal gramma is a great fish. I’ve always had one. They are pretty, hardy, and long lived. The only problem with mine is that he’s pretty reclusive. I see him an hour or so a day. Otherwise, he’s hanging under a rock overhang somewhere.

I personally don’t think a pair of ocellaris are a problem. Watching them interact and spawn is still a highlight for me.

I agree that a yellow tang is a great fish. I had them in my 4 ft 90 gallon tank. And would definitely have them in a 6 ft tank. But, I believe you are right on the edge of their minimum tank size. They are pretty awesome, so I would probably still do it though. I recommended the tomini as it is smaller. But agree not as great as an algae picker IMO.

I’ve never had cardinals so I can’t comment.

I’m a big proponent of quarantine. Here’s what I do:

OP
OP
A

Amy82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely take a look at that tomorrow thank you!

Well for now ill look at

2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Firefish
1 x Watchman Goby
1 x Cleaner Shrimp

Then ill keep looking in to Cardinals, Wrasses, also a decent clean up crew that wont hurt my fish

Are all these fish coral compatible? I'm definitely doing a FOWLR but would like the option I think at some point to add things like GSP and Zoas...im sure it will get more addictive from there lol

Yellow tangs are one of my absolute favourite fish but will pass on them as id rather a bigger tank for keeping those.
Please feel free to throw any other suggestions my way. Like I said im a freshwater person so at least ive got experience and patience for tanks but im also a crazy researcher so will be taking my time and stocking slowly once its set up too.

Oter fish ive looked at a longnose hawkfish and lawnmower blenny. But honestly as long as ive got the clownfish, royal gramma and firefish im happy the others im not as picky about as long as they are compatible with the others and suitable for the tank

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely take a look at that tomorrow thank you!

Well for now ill look at

2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Firefish
1 x Watchman Goby
1 x Cleaner Shrimp

Then ill keep looking in to Cardinals, Wrasses, also a decent clean up crew that wont hurt my fish

Are all these fish coral compatible? I'm definitely doing a FOWLR but would like the option I think at some point to add things like GSP and Zoas...im sure it will get more addictive from there lol

Yellow tangs are one of my absolute favourite fish but will pass on them as id rather a bigger tank for keeping those.
Please feel free to throw any other suggestions my way. Like I said im a freshwater person so at least ive got experience and patience for tanks but im also a crazy researcher so will be taking my time and stocking slowly once its set up too.

Oter fish ive looked at a longnose hawkfish and lawnmower blenny. But honestly as long as ive got the clownfish, royal gramma and firefish im happy the others im not as picky about as long as they are compatible with the others and suitable for the tank
Looks like you have a great list! They are all OK with corals down the road too. You also mentioned the hawkfish and bLenny. Both are OK with corals. I’ve never had the hawk, but I think it might dine on your shrimp, so check that out first. The blenny is a great addition, but Im not sure if the goby and blenny will behave together. I would check that out too.

OP
OP
A

Amy82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the Hawkfish but really don't want my shrimp eaten !!! Kind of like the idea of the shrimp

I've been looking and liking the look of these ones too so any info would be wonderful please

McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
Chalk Bass
Yellow Damsel

With the orange and yellow already from my definite choices having a little bit of blue would be a nice evening contrast

Will definitely be adding them slowly most likely over 6 months or more. I'm in no rush I'd like my final list sorted before I purchase my first fish though as I'd prefer to add them in a good order so they adjust better

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the Hawkfish but really don't want my shrimp eaten !!! Kind of like the idea of the shrimp

I've been looking and liking the look of these ones too so any info would be wonderful please

McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
Chalk Bass
Yellow Damsel

With the orange and yellow already from my definite choices having a little bit of blue would be a nice evening contrast

Will definitely be adding them slowly most likely over 6 months or more. I'm in no rush I'd like my final list sorted before I purchase my first fish though as I'd prefer to add them in a good order so they adjust better
I had a McCoskers wrasses. Beautiful little fish. Unfortunately mine found a small hole in the screen top. So for any wrasse, you’ll want a well fitted screen top. I have yellow tail blue damsels. Great fish, but never had a yellow. Many damsels are aggressive so read up.

OP
OP
A

Amy82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops my mistake I meant to type yellow tail blue damsel. I'm looking at what's available from our local fish store too they have them and the Azure but I prefer the yellow tail. I will research them thanks!

Will definitely have a good lid. My freshwater tanks have lids after one of my very very active Siamese algae eaters launched himself out of the tank right in front of my eyes a few months ago. Thankfully I scooped him up and he survived! Bit paranoid about it now though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back