Stocking ideas and advice

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

We have a 240 gal mixed reef DT that will be 2yrs old in March. Current stocking is 1 ocellaris clown, I royal gramma, 2 blue/green chromis, 1 redline wrasse(Male phase now) 1 rubyhead wrasse, 1 yellow tang, 1sailfin tang, 1 yellow eye cole tang, 1 hippo. Now that my tank has been stable for awhile and things have calmed down around our house I think it is time to add to our fish stock. Wanting to first add bigger fish to keep bullies busy before adding any smaller. Plan is adding 1 spot foxface, 1 naso tang and 1 powder brown tang. Any other or better ideas. Would love to have a pair of foxface but, never have seen any for sale or even bonded in someones tank. Then later would like some small fish for more diversity and interest. Mostlikely will add another clown but, smaller then mine, with the small fish group.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

We have a 240 gal mixed reef DT that will be 2yrs old in March. Current stocking is 1 ocellaris clown, I royal gramma, 2 blue/green chromis, 1 redline wrasse(Male phase now) 1 rubyhead wrasse, 1 yellow tang, 1sailfin tang, 1 yellow eye cole tang, 1 hippo. Now that my tank has been stable for awhile and things have calmed down around our house I think it is time to add to our fish stock. Wanting to first add bigger fish to keep bullies busy before adding any smaller. Plan is adding 1 spot foxface, 1 naso tang and 1 powder brown tang. Any other or better ideas. Would love to have a pair of foxface but, never have seen any for sale or even bonded in someones tank. Then later would like some small fish for more diversity and interest. Mostlikely will add another clown but, smaller then mine, with the small fish group.
Foxface is a beautiful fish with a personality like no others .
Active swimmer and graze on everything all day .

They are venomous though !

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface is a beautiful fish with a personality like no others .
Active swimmer and graze on everything all day .

They are venomous though !
Yes, have had them before. One of my favorite fish.

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

You could try a Midas blenny as a small fish and if you’re willing to spend a bit purple tangs are supposed to be amazing fish

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a Midas blenny as a small fish and if you’re willing to spend a bit purple tangs are supposed to be amazing fish
I do love the midas and been considering one but, have a yellow that has been in for a 1 1/2 and also a sailfin already so not really wanting to take that risk for that kind of money.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Wish I had a tank like yours.
Thanks. Keep an eye out. We were in a LFS years ago and there was someone there while we were discussing fish that came up to us saying they had this tank they needed to get ride of in their storage. So, we went for it. Took some work to do what we wanted with it but, may have never gotten one new. Was a big step up from our 55gal back then. Now the 55 is our QT tank.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yesterday bought a small 2" one spot foxface. Would have preferred bigger one but none available. The LFS that usually has lots said they were having trouble getting any lately so went ahead and got this tiny one. What would be my chances of keeping more then 1 in a 240gal? Would love more then one. Also saw some lyretail antheisis that are another dream fish for my tank. Haven't decided on them yet but there was 3 females and a male all in different tanks. That was kind of what made me nervous. Would that cause issues putting them all together in a QT? Decisions, Decisions. Also saw a powder blue but think I'll stick with a powder brown as planned.

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yesterday bought a small 2" one spot foxface. Would have preferred bigger one but none available. The LFS that usually has lots said they were having trouble getting any lately so went ahead and got this tiny one. What would be my chances of keeping more then 1 in a 240gal? Would love more then one. Also saw some lyretail antheisis that are another dream fish for my tank. Haven't decided on them yet but there was 3 females and a male all in different tanks. That was kind of what made me nervous. Would that cause issues putting them all together in a QT? Decisions, Decisions. Also saw a powder blue but think I'll stick with a powder brown as planned.
I personally wouldn't chance it. Foxfaces have been tough to come ever where. However I love getting them small and watching them grow. Did that with my magnificent.

Lyretails are great anthias. I personally would purchase odd numbers and females only. Let nature work in your tank and you'll save some $$.

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned if they are all individually housed right now. If you add then together there may be some establishment of order but then you can see who the male might be.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned if they are all individually housed right now. If you add then together there may be some establishment of order but then you can see who the male might be.
Well, went back today and someone had bought the female lyretails. So I bought the male. He was just too beautiful. I figure I may order a group of females with the rest of my order next week or maybe just have him. Would he be a problem alone?

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210130_193643.jpg
first fish in Qt this year.

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, went back today and someone had bought the female lyretails. So I bought the male. He was just too beautiful. I figure I may order a group of females with the rest of my order next week or maybe just have him. Would he be a problem alone?
I don't believe so. I see why you picked him up he is absolute beauty.

Personally I love mixing different types of anthias. I usually shoot for all females as they are then all on equal footing.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Picked up my powder brown yesterday. He was a bit bigger then I wanted but beautiful. Now just got notified of a Naso so, on the way to check it out.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 112 57.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.9%
Back