Stocking ideas for 13.5g reef tank?

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 13.5g fluval evo up and running for about a month and a half. I currently have 2 ocellaris clowns, 4 hermits, and a peppermint shrimp. I also recently upgraded from the stock light and added a couple frags which are doing great. Sometime down the line I’m hoping to add another fish and maybe a cleaner shrimp along with my pep as well. Any ideas on what would work? My immediate thought would be some type of goby but I’d prefer a fish that you see swimming around more instead of a sand dweller. Would a cardinal fish or six line wrasse be too big for this tank along with the two clowns, and if not what would be some better fits? I’ve seen mixed opinions so I’d love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that sized tank you are really stuck with limited options, a goby (i like cleaner gobies personally) like you said or maybe 1 firefish (you need a lid for either)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are evil. A small tank only amplifies this, so once they mature you are going to have a lot more difficulty with tankmates. Anything should stay close to the sand or rocks.
My vote goes to a pistol shrimp + shrimpgoby. In a small tank they are pretty visible.
Clown goby or geometric Pygmy hawk could work out as well.
Sixline can get nasty and be even more destructive than the clowns, while a cardinal is a sitting target.
When my female clown turned to the dark side, she killed her mate, a royal gramma, and a firefish. Only the aurora shrimpgoby survived - this was in a 13.5.
Not sure on the cleaner - peppermint compatibility in this size tank though.

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that sized tank you are really stuck with limited options, a goby (i like cleaner gobies personally) like you said or maybe 1 firefish (you need a lid for either)
Yeah I have a custom lid I made so I don’t have to worry about jumping

OP
OP
G

gostby88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are evil. A small tank only amplifies this, so once they mature you are going to have a lot more difficulty with tankmates. Anything should stay close to the sand or rocks.
My vote goes to a pistol shrimp + shrimpgoby. In a small tank they are pretty visible.
Clown goby or geometric Pygmy hawk could work out as well.
Sixline can get nasty and be even more destructive than the clowns, while a cardinal is a sitting target.
When my female clown turned to the dark side, she killed her mate, a royal gramma, and a firefish. Only the aurora shrimpgoby survived - this was in a 13.5.
Not sure on the cleaner - peppermint compatibility in this size tank though.
If I go with a goby do you have any recommendations for a compatible second shrimp?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a shrimpgoby, the best pistol shrimp is going to be a Randall’s (red striped/candy cane). Tiger would work for bigger guys like yellow watchman.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back