Stocking List Advice/Help

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Guys so I wanted to add some wrasses to finish off my tank and would like any advise on if the ones I am looking at will all work together and if they should be added one by one or all at once if possible.

Current Set Up - 75 Gallon tank, mixed reef, 2-3 inch deep sand bed

1 - clownfish
1 - flame angel
1 - starry blenny
1- small yellow tang (I will move him when/if he gets too large, no need for the tang police please) :)
1 - Squamosa Clam
Inverts - Short spine urchin, cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp, snails/hermits

I'm hoping to add:
1- Christmas Wrasse
1- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (tank has been up for 5 years... lots of pods to eat)
1- Radiant Wrasse
1- Either Mystery Wrasse OR Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse

Also either a pearly or blue spotted jawfish down the road.

SO, back to the wrasse list. Any issues with these guys being put together in this size tank? Also I am not sure I'd be able to find all these guys at once but is there any trick to either adding them all together or just one by one, if so any order I should keep in mind?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery wrasse and pinstripe = bad idea.
What do you mean by a christmas wrasse, theres about 5 species under that name.
If doing one by one use an acclimation box
Other 2 species should be fine together .

OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would plan to choose between either the mystery wrasse or the scarlet pin stripe, I wouldn’t be adding both together. Did you mean they are a bad idea to put together or just in general either one won’t work with my other fish? Also I will be honest I wasn’t aware there were so many Christmas wrasses available, I was just going off the one I saw on live aquaria, they have the species listed as Halichoeres claudia

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. claudia is the one you want.

Mystery wrasses and their Psuedocheilnus cousins Hate other wrasses.

The rest looks fine to me. There is a possible issue with the Christmas and radiant, but it will probably be fine.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The rest looks fine to me. There is a possible issue with the Christmas and radiant, but it will probably be fine.
Yea what he said.
Good luck, hope it works out ok for you :)
Sorry i wasnt very clear in my response.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Gotcha, anything someone might recommend instead? I know there are so many out there, I'm looking for more movement and a pop of color in this last fish so possibly looking to stay away from fairy and flasher wrasses, they hit on the color but in my experience they seem to "hover" more often than swim through the water column.

Yea what he said.
Good luck, hope it works out ok for you :)
Sorry i wasnt very clear in my response.

No worries! Thanks for the input!

I don't imagine I'll be able to find these fish any time soon, it seems a lot of shipments have stopped coming in at the LFSs near me in NJ due to COVID. I was looking at buying online but most sites including liveaquaria have little to no fish in stock. But in the meantime it doesn't hurt to come up with a plan!

Back