Stocking list for a 40 breeder that are reef safe.

WHITEWOLF7417

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for suggestions on a stocking list for a 40b. So far on the list are 2 blizzard clowns and 2 purple fire fish or two regular fire fish and an orchid dotty back along with a starry-eyed blenny.

LabyrinthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now i have:
Clownfish pair
FIrefish pair
Y watchman goby
royal gramma

and planning on adding these once I get a nice copepod population going :
Blue star leopard wrasse
Mandarin Dragonet

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for suggestions on a stocking list for a 40b. So far on the list are 2 blizzard clowns and 2 purple fire fish or two regular fire fish and an orchid dotty back along with a starry-eyed blenny.
How new are you to reefing?

In a 40B, you don't have a much room as you think.. (my personal experience). all your fish are reef safe but consider other fish to add first before the dottyback and clowns.. both tend to become ruffians if they own the tank.. so if they go in first, you may see much aggression to fish added later.

Firefish and wrasses are jumpers (well any fish will jump) so be sure to have a good lid/netting for a top.

I recently (within the last year) set up a 40B as a Docile tank. Gobies, possum wrasse and a single chromis (of the damsel family, something I would also steer away from ) and a tailspot blenny. If you provide a "hole" for the blenny, they will sit in it with just their heads sticking out and come darting out after food. really kind of cute.

As this is my docile tank, it wont have dottybacks, clowns, tangs (tank too small), and some wrasses (6 line and that genus though maybe flasher wrasses would work) or damsels.

I should ask, do you also intend to keep corals? All of what I have is reef safe and all my corals are tending to be softies.. Like GSP on small islands (tennis ball size, Gorgonians, Mushrooms and zoas.

LabyrinthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new are you to reefing?

In a 40B, you don't have a much room as you think.. (my personal experience). all your fish are reef safe but consider other fish to add first before the dottyback and clowns.. both tend to become ruffians if they own the tank.. so if they go in first, you may see much aggression to fish added later.

Firefish and wrasses are jumpers (well any fish will jump) so be sure to have a good lid/netting for a top.

I recently (within the last year) set up a 40B as a Docile tank. Gobies, possum wrasse and a single chromis (of the damsel family, something I would also steer away from ) and a tailspot blenny. If you provide a "hole" for the blenny, they will sit in it with just their heads sticking out and come darting out after food. really kind of cute.

As this is my docile tank, it wont have dottybacks, clowns, tangs (tank too small), and some wrasses (6 line and that genus though maybe flasher wrasses would work) or damsels.

I should ask, do you also intend to keep corals? All of what I have is reef safe and all my corals are tending to be softies.. Like GSP on small islands (tennis ball size, Gorgonians, Mushrooms and zoas.
I did the same regarding the docile tank. all my fish are very peaceful. My clownfish are angels luckily, the female lets me pet her sometimes lol

LabyrinthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add the blue star leopard there is most likely not going to be enough copepods. I would recommend only adding the Mandarin
Definitely understand the concern. Tank is seeded with plenty of pods and I have a separate system breeding pods at the moment. I calculated the amount needed daily for both with plenty of room for error so they'll be good.

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely understand the concern. Tank is seeded with plenty of pods and I have a separate system breeding pods at the moment. I calculated the amount needed daily for both with plenty of room for error so they'll be good.
If that’s not enough for them you could give them vitamin soaked mysis. More than food the wrasse might not be able to adjust to the tank with the fish you have.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallons is too small for flasher wrasse
I would have to disagree with this statement.. Not all flashers get to 5 inches or more. McCoskers and Carpenters work fine in a 40B.. the 6 line is quite aggressive as it ages.. mine even beats on damsels.
If that’s not enough for them you could give them vitamin soaked mysis. More than food the wrasse might not be able to adjust to the tank with the fish you have.

Pods are nice but they can limit health if that is all you rely on for feeding.. its nice to be able to get them eating pellets and flake foods.. in addition to frozen.. Variety.!!!. and if they are willing to pick at nori .. all the better.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not a 6 line what kind of fairy wrasse do I want
The thing about the 6 line is it is a great fish for coral pest control.. eats small bristle worms and other coral pests. Fairy wrasses are mor mid water type swimmers.. generally not eating most pests. But active fish none the less. McCoskers and Carpenters flasher wrasses. There are some smaller Fairy wrasses that might do the same thing as a flasher..and are far less agressive. but again not the utility of a 6 line.. edit. flasher wrasses are not agressive

Last edited:

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to disagree with this statement.. Not all flashers get to 5 inches or more. McCoskers and Carpenters work fine in a 40B.. the 6 line is quite aggressive as it ages.. mine even beats on damsels.

Pods are nice but they can limit health if that is all you rely on for feeding.. its nice to be able to get them eating pellets and flake foods.. in addition to frozen.. Variety.!!!. and if they are willing to pick at nori .. all the better.
You could but they might get a little stressed. Also you definitely need a lid if you do get one

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back