Stocking list for a 40 breeder that are reef safe.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy, flasher and Wetmorella (possum wrasses) dont bury themselves, they hide in rocks and cocoon.. for those wrasses that do bury themselves, like yellow coris and melanarus, smaller ones shouldnt need more than 2 inches

Both the Yellow Coris and Melanarus wrasse are usually less agressive than a 6 line can be.. but they can get as much as 6 to 8 inches.

Last edited:

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now could I have a 6 line, a carpenter and a McCoskers in a 40B
Yes, but, I would pick just one or 2 ... If you get a really small 6 line it will take some time to get agressive.. My personal preference of those 3 is the McCoskers. Just my preference based on having all 3 at one time or another.

OP
OP
W

WHITEWOLF7417

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at a loss here as I want to have a scarlet cleaner and a blood red fire shrimp, but both the melanarus and yellow coris eat shrimp.

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I stock my tanks I think about a couple things first on the list is utilitarian fish such as algae eaters with a 40b your shouldn’t be looking into tangs personally I happen to be fond of the lawnmower Blenny in smaller tanks they are very hardy and have an amazing personality I also like the 6 line wrase for pests I would recommend getting a small one to grow with your other fish newly introduced larger ones tend to be jerks after getting some workers I move on to what I want that will coincide with the tank size and inhabitants a clownfish pair is always a safe bet but I would definitely add them later as they tend to get territorial I’ve also had a lot of good luck with dottybacks they add a nice pop of color and are a very intelligent fish
when it comes to clean up crew I’m partial to snails I used to go 50/50 snails hermits but the hermits always end up killing the snails for there shells even when I add a boat load of empty’s for them I replaced my hermits with emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp neither pose a threat to my snails and both like to eat left over fish food and an added bonus peppermint shrimp are known to eat aiptasia if any spring up and the emerald crabs eat bubble algae I also think they are both more pleasurable to look at

there are many different factors that change my decision on stocking fish and cuc but for your size tank I think what I listed will be a safe and enjoyable assortment

OP
OP
W

WHITEWOLF7417

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do blue leg hermits go after snails like red legs do or do they both go after snails. As far as blennys can a starry eye and a bi color be in the same tank?

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All hermits will go after snails if they think they can fit in there shells they will rip them out and take it for themselves and as far as the different types of blennys that’s one of those controversial questions where everybody has there own answer but nobody’s wrong or right they may be fine they may not like each other it’s going to be up to you if you want to try it out

OP
OP
W

WHITEWOLF7417

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of wrasse can I add that won't get aggressive and won't eat decorative shrimp like red blood fire shrimp and scarlet cleaner shrimp.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept christmas wrasse, yellow coris, flairy wrasses and flasher wrasses in with shrimp and snails without issues. fairy and flasher should not have an issue in either case. Yellow Coris, melanarus and christmas wrasses may.. i repeat may pick at snails.. but I have yet to see them have issue with larger shrimp. Just my anecdotal experience. I also want to say the Yellow coris is not the same as other "coris wrasses"

Have you looked at LiveAquaria.com??? they usually say in the description of a fish if it is reef safe, reef safe with caution or Not reef safe. usually meaning.. are they safe around inverts or not, or if they might eat corals.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back