Stocking list help

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Biocube 32 with a royal gramma and two clownfish already in it. I want to get the following fish as well:

Watchman Goby or wheelers shrimp goby: want one of these to sift the sandbed to keep it clean

Lawnmower Blenny: want it to pluck algae.

Midas Blenny: want it for the looks. Would be higher of priority than lawnmower

the rest of these guys are very risky with each other, so I want to hear your experience and opinion. All my other fish in the tank right now would be fine with these additions from what I have read. Would I be able to keep these 3 other fish together? If not, what are some good/better alternatives?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower Blenny has a lot of personality and has been one of our favorites, even though it is not as colorful as the midas.

I had a watchman goby jump through a small opening on the cover. Didn't find him until it was too late. Expecting a new one to arrive today.

So, be sure you have a tight cover for both of these species.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower Blenny has a lot of personality and has been one of our favorites, even though it is not as colorful as the midas.

I had a watchman goby jump through a small opening on the cover. Didn't find him until it was too late. Expecting a new one to arrive today.

So, be sure you have a tight cover for both of these species.
I have the Biocube lid so no worries there. Do you have any experience with any of these fish together and problems with them together?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any problems with aggression with these species, but my tank is 125 gallons. Less space may result in more conflict. A couple of species to avoid are domino and striped damsels. The are bullies. The killed a royal gramma I had.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any problems with aggression with these species, but my tank is 125 gallons. Less space may result in more conflict. A couple of species to avoid are domino and striped damsels. The are bullies. The killed a royal gramma I had.
I’m undergoing a similar situation right now too. One of my clownfish is bullying my gramma and it didn’t look good last night but it looks better today. I’ll have to get an acclimation box if the issue occurs but I think it was happening because I was under feeding and had my hand in the tank a lot yesterday and tried to flick them away multiple times

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if the current design of the BioCube has fixed this issue, but the lid on the Biocube is not foolproof. When I ran one of those tanks, I lost several fish who jumped over the back wall and into the filtration section, specifically on top of the second chamber, where there isn't really any water for them to rest in. So if they haven't fixed that issue, you might still want to invest in a fish guard for the rear section.

Other than that - no real issues with your stocking, though I wouldn't keep a lawnmower and a Midas blenny in the same tank, at least not at that size. They're friendly and inquisitive with other fish, but can be absolutely nasty to other blennies. Pick your favorite and stick with it. =)

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if the current design of the BioCube has fixed this issue, but the lid on the Biocube is not foolproof. When I ran one of those tanks, I lost several fish who jumped over the back wall and into the filtration section, specifically on top of the second chamber, where there isn't really any water for them to rest in. So if they haven't fixed that issue, you might still want to invest in a fish guard for the rear section.

Other than that - no real issues with your stocking, though I wouldn't keep a lawnmower and a Midas blenny in the same tank, at least not at that size. They're friendly and inquisitive with other fish, but can be absolutely nasty to other blennies. Pick your favorite and stick with it. =)
I already thought of this and went the cheap and in my opinion better way. I put a piece of cardboard on the top of the hood which creates a seal with the top of the back wall

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back