Stocking list ?

ericad289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are your thoughts on my stock list? I have a new 180 gallon aquarium 6’x2’x2’ full of live rock and a good depth sand bed

Few Black mollies
1 Ocellaris clown
1 gladiator clown
2 fire fish
McCosker’s flasher wrasse pair
A few Cleaner shrimp
1 Regal angel (torn due to clam and corals)
Pair of swallowtail angels
1 golden head goby or diamond
5 anthias-1m/4f (not 100% sure I want)
1 Flame angel-torn due to corals/clam
1 Desjardin sailfin tang
1 Blue hippo tang
1 yellow eyed kole tang
1 yellow tang

Full mixture of corals
1 mandarin goby - after established
Clam - after established

I plan on ordering pre-quarantined fish. My clowns, firefish, and McCosker pair should be here next week.

Does the list order look ok for stocking order as well? Hope to be able to order flame angel and tang gang last and at same time. Was told to wait about a year before adding mandarin will it be ok to add him after tang gang?

Thank you

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are your thoughts on my stock list? I have a new 180 gallon aquarium 6’x2’x2’ full of live rock and a good depth sand bed

Few Black mollies
1 Ocellaris clown
1 gladiator clown
2 fire fish
McCosker’s flasher wrasse pair
A few Cleaner shrimp
1 Regal angel (torn due to clam and corals)
Pair of swallowtail angels
1 golden head goby or diamond
5 anthias-1m/4f (not 100% sure I want)
1 Flame angel-torn due to corals/clam
1 Desjardin sailfin tang
1 Blue hippo tang
1 yellow eyed kole tang
1 yellow tang

Full mixture of corals
1 mandarin goby - after established
Clam - after established

I plan on ordering pre-quarantined fish. My clowns, firefish, and McCosker pair should be here next week.

Does the list order look ok for stocking order as well? Hope to be able to order flame angel and tang gang last and at same time. Was told to wait about a year before adding mandarin will it be ok to add him after tang gang?

Thank you
Glad your plan calls out tang gang last and together. Make sure sailfin and yellow tangs about same size... but sailfins grow fast and much bigger... Mine including flame angel are nicknamed "Death Dealers" ... be sure to get an use an acclimation box - I've gone from hang on side type to magnetize SHU I can move around. Yellow got sick from algae treatment and had to 'vacation' in QT for 3 weeks until Reef Flux cleared so returning fish back to DT was like adding new fish... sailfin had to go to sump for couple weeks to break territory hold a bit - then everyone back to DT using SHU acclimation box on sailfin. My first successful (re)introduction in long time (whew!) Success is measured by no kill

Recommend your rock structure built with sufficient cave sleeping areas for each fish - each angel and each tang ... which also implies your fish list may be too long for this single tank. My left third of tank was built keeping in mind sailfin full size 18" potential, so while it seems like terraced live rocks for coral growth, its also hollow and sailfin sleeps in there ... alone... Also plan more than 1 algae clip to cut down on aggression

If you get an angel, then don't get a clam... clam will be expensive angel food... decide which of those two you want more and go that direction with this tank... and its why I am a believer in multiple tanks... My current home is too small :( but when kid graduates from high school in 5 years and moves out... more tanks for me!!

Concerned about mandarin not starving. All those other fish will also eat all available copepods, eat faster, etc so hope you'll commit to daily hatching and feeding baby brine shrimp (unless you are going to hatch and dose pods daily). This post has a good feeder (though I'm on hunt to replace blue pex with black stiff tube so it 'hides' and 'blends' in with tank a bit more)

Finally, list seems a little long size wise (I also have 180g), since you want to take away swimming space by having full assortment of corals, so want to refer you to this post:

Hoping others also share opinions and experiences with your potential fish list

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back