Stocking my 100g nearly all at once.

RocketEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2019
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
1,519
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m planning on purchasing a bunch of fish online. My system has been running for several months with just the cleaning crew and two clownfish. I’ve got a preliminary list but want to run it past the community for inputs.

Bicolor Blenny
Indigo Dottyback
Clown Citron Goby
Lemon Peel Tang
Tomini Tang
Banggai Cardinalfish (3)

Since all are from the same vendor already quarantined, my plan was to add them all at once.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.
 
i was always discouraged to add too much at once. its better to go slow. maybe others can chime in on what order those should be added. i know its tempting esp to save on the shipping charge!
 
Shipping is $70. Most of the fish in that list cost less than that. My local place has some fish but I’ve been waiting weeks and rarely see ones I like that last until the weekend when I can get it.

Do you have a specific grouping that would work? If anything I can see adding the tangs last. The rest are all fairly small fish so wasn’t as worried about adding them all at once. I worry about adding too few at once causing the established fish to hassle the newcomer. Trying to find that balance.
 
I was always under the impression that the more the merrier. Meaning if you can add all fish at once do so , there is no established order , all the fish get thrown into this new environment and all have to figure it out together. Versus adding a couple at a time , they claim territory then new fish get added they may have beef .

Think of it as like a transfer student joining a class in middle of year , yes it will work but they never quite fit in as easily as the day ones
 
I was always under the impression that the more the merrier. Meaning if you can add all fish at once do so , there is no established order , all the fish get thrown into this new environment and all have to figure it out together. Versus adding a couple at a time , they claim territory then new fish get added they may have beef .

Think of it as like a transfer student joining a class in middle of year , yes it will work but they never quite fit in as easily as the day ones

That was my thought as well. If the tank can handle the jump in bioload, you’re good. With a 100g display plus sump, 8 fish is still fairly light stocking IMO. But I’ve never been one to have a huge number of fish.
 
Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve screwed up plenty of tanks in the past. Trying to get it right this time. But after more than 5 years owning this tank, I would like to see something more than 2 clowns in it.
 
I’d ditch one of the tangs and the dottyback personally. A 4’ tank is too small for two tangs. They’ll likely fight. The dottyback will most likely be super aggressive.

If you want to keep the dottyback I wouldn’t add any other fish. Your system can definitely handle the increase in bioload with no problem.
 
I’d ditch one of the tangs and the dottyback personally. A 4’ tank is too small for two tangs. They’ll likely fight. The dottyback will most likely be super aggressive.

If you want to keep the dottyback I wouldn’t add any other fish. Your system can definitely handle the increase in bioload with no problem.
I can skip the Tomini. Would replacing the dottyback with a yellow head jawfish work? I had one years ago, very cool fish.
 
I can skip the Tomini. Would replacing the dottyback with a yellow head jawfish work? I had one years ago, very cool fish.
I don’t see why not. The jawfish will match the temperament of the other fish on your list, and are perfect for a four footer.

I think I remember you from RC many years ago as well.
 
I would just keep an eye out for an ammonia spike. Feed lightly the first few days and monitor nutrients. I’ve done it before, usually in a tank rear down and transfer. Just be mindful
 
So I’m planning on purchasing a bunch of fish online. My system has been running for several months with just the cleaning crew and two clownfish. I’ve got a preliminary list but want to run it past the community for inputs.

Bicolor Blenny
Indigo Dottyback
Clown Citron Goby
Lemon Peel Tang
Tomini Tang
Banggai Cardinalfish (3)

Since all are from the same vendor already quarantined, my plan was to add them all at once.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.
I think thats way too many fish for a new tank all at once. You most likely will see a large parameter shift because of it. I would highly discourage you from doing that to be honest. Also which tang is the lemon peel tang? Never heard that before. Post a picture of it to make sure Im thinking of the right one
 
I think thats way too many fish for a new tank all at once. You most likely will see a large parameter shift because of it. I would highly discourage you from doing that to be honest. Also which tang is the lemon peel tang? Never heard that before. Post a picture of it to make sure Im thinking of the right one
I think he’ll be ok since the tank’s been running with a couple clowns in it. That said it’ll cause at least a measurable parameter shift, along with a mini cycle. It very well could cause a major ammonia spike.

Soft corals prefer ammonia to nitrates so they’d help consume ammonia. Also start feeding your tank from now as if the fish on your stock list were already there. That’ll get your system to where it can take care of higher ammonia levels.
 
So I’m planning on purchasing a bunch of fish online. My system has been running for several months with just the cleaning crew and two clownfish. I’ve got a preliminary list but want to run it past the community for inputs.

Bicolor Blenny
Indigo Dottyback
Clown Citron Goby
Lemon Peel Tang
Tomini Tang
Banggai Cardinalfish (3)

Since all are from the same vendor already quarantined, my plan was to add them all at once.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.
1754013369525.png


This tank can handle those fishes, but agree one tang is probably safer then two. THe complication is likely going to be from the 2 clownfish that have already set up shop.

It might help to add some new rocks to change up available hiding spots?
 
I think thats way too many fish for a new tank all at once. You most likely will see a large parameter shift because of it. I would highly discourage you from doing that to be honest. Also which tang is the lemon peel tang? Never heard that before. Post a picture of it to make sure Im thinking of the right one
Sorry, mimic lemon peel:
https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/...eel-tang/?attribute_service-level=Quarantined
The tank has had critters in it since the beginning of the year and the clowns in it since mid May. I wouldn’t consider it a new tank, but it is still a young system so I will keep an eye on things for sure.
 
1754013369525.png


This tank can handle those fishes, but agree one tang is probably safer then two. THe complication is likely going to be from the 2 clownfish that have already set up shop.

It might help to add some new rocks to change up available hiding spots?

The two clowns have taken over the front right corner under the auto feeder and ignored the rest of the rockwork. I may move the feeder if they get aggressive. I’m somewhat hoping that many new mouths will mean those two won’t target one too much.
 
Sorry, mimic lemon peel:
https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/...eel-tang/?attribute_service-level=Quarantined
The tank has had critters in it since the beginning of the year and the clowns in it since mid May. I wouldn’t consider it a new tank, but it is still a young system so I will keep an eye on things for sure.
Just so youre aware, your tang is what I thought. Its commonly called a chocolate tang and will look like this as an adult. Lots of sites misrepresent them because they become dull colored (I think they are nice as adults but not many do).
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0386.png
    IMG_0386.png
    529.5 KB · Views: 72
Just so youre aware, your tang is what I thought. It’s commonly called a chocolate tang and will look like this as an adult. Lots of sites misrepresent them because they become dull colored (I think they are nice as adults but not many do).
This is why I enjoy this hobby and this community. Always knowledge to share. I may reconsider that then.
 
This is why I enjoy this hobby and this community. Always knowledge to share. I may reconsider that then.
Yeah 😂 they also will call them “Phillipine yellow tang”. And just so you know that picture on Dr reef’s site (dont recommend him at all BTW) is actually a lemon peel angel. The lemon peel angel does look like that fish its whole life. Thats one reason among many that I dont recommend him). Reef beauties, saltwaterfish.com, NY Aquatic, Violet Aquarium are the online vendors I trust. I would really reconsider looking at these guys.

I just got this beautiful healthy eel from Reef Beauties:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 50
Just so youre aware, your tang is what I thought. Its commonly called a chocolate tang and will look like this as an adult. Lots of sites misrepresent them because they become dull colored (I think they are nice as adults but not many do).
I think they are amazing as adults, but they get a little big for the space. The Tomini is a better fit.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new