Stocking my 33g mixed reef

WillB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading my tank to a slightly larger one of higher quality. Also adding a 20g sump. I figure this is a perfect time to add some fish. Right now I have 2 standard clownfish and a six line that get alone well enough. They clowns will bully the six line sometimes if he gets too close to their corner. I’d love to add an orchid dotty back and work up to a mandarin once the new tank has settled (I’ll have a fuge to provide a safe haven for pods). What do you guys think? Is this too much? Will aggression be an issue?
IMG_0403.JPG

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the dotty backs I’ve had have been kind of aggressive. Very pretty though. I would think the clowns will be okay but the Dotty back might pick on the six line. Either way they will both outcompete your mandarin for food. Especially the six line. I have a ruby red scooter dragonet in a small 30 gal mixed reef with a six line (and other fish that eat the pods) I like to dose pods and/or float my chaeto in the display every now and then to get more of the pods out and into the display. I have a lot of fish that eat pods exclusively in various tanks around the house. I started a pod culter to ensure I’d always be able to feed them. It was really easy to do and there are tons of videos on YouTube. If you want to keep those fish together in that small of a tank, keeping a small culture running is one way to guarantee you’ll be able to keep them fed...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines and dottybacks don't mix, sixlines and dragonets don't mix.

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd say skip the orchid dottyback because of the sixline. If you want that striking purple the orchid gives off id go with a either a royal gramma or a black cap basslet. The royal gramma has the purple front and yellow back. The black caps are all purple except for the "black cap" on the head. They can be about double to triple the cost of the royal gramma though because they are found in deeper waters.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd say skip the orchid dottyback because of the sixline. If you want that striking purple the orchid gives off id go with a either a royal gramma or a black cap basslet. The royal gramma has the purple front and yellow back. The black caps are all purple except for the "black cap" on the head. They can be about double to triple the cost of the royal gramma though because they are found in deeper waters.
I think a sixline will be aggressive to a gramma in a 33g.

OP
OP
WillB

WillB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man... this six line is getting to be a real problem then huh?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back