Stocking order for 40B?

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm narrowing down what I'd like in my 40B (to be mixed reef) and would like some recommendations on stocking order. I'm trying to go from least aggressive to most (but started my tank with a pair of mocha clowns ). Tank is about 2 months in, now on the GHA stage of the uglies but not terrible.

1,2. Mocha Clowns
3. Royal Gramma (ordered, expected next Fri, already QTed)
4. Banggai Cardinal
5. Midas Blenny
6. Longnose Hawkfish

I was thinking one more fish to round out the list, but not sure what and where in the order. Dwarf angel? Fairy wrasse?

Thoughts, recommendations, suggestions? TIA

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest FTS for reference.

_MG_8288.jpg

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it really matters with that list. They are all pretty peaceful and don't really go out of their way to bother other fish. The only exception would be the Royal Gramma. They can do their big mouth (bass) thing if another fish gets too close to their home. So it and the Blenny might clash so I would add both back to back. If they start getting too aggressive, just move the rocks around a bit and turn off the lights for 18hrs and it should resolve.

Fairy wrasse should be fine with all the fish mentioned (just going from what I remember here as I've never had one). I'd avoid the Angel if you are planning on getting corals - otherwise, I'd go with one as the last fish.

If you add more than 1 fish at a time I'd use bottled bacteria since your tank is pretty young.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
here’s my order;

1. cardinal
  2. basslet
  3. blenny
  4. hawkfish
  5. clowns

but personally i’d swap out the cardinal with a court jester goby or wrasse… cardinals are rather boring and just float around. and the goby or wrasse could help serve a purpose (pest control or algae)

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm narrowing down what I'd like in my 40B (to be mixed reef) and would like some recommendations on stocking order. I'm trying to go from least aggressive to most (but started my tank with a pair of mocha clowns ). Tank is about 2 months in, now on the GHA stage of the uglies but not terrible.

1,2. Mocha Clowns
3. Royal Gramma (ordered, expected next Fri, already QTed)
4. Banggai Cardinal
5. Midas Blenny
6. Longnose Hawkfish

I was thinking one more fish to round out the list, but not sure what and where in the order. Dwarf angel? Fairy wrasse?

Thoughts, recommendations, suggestions? TIA
Is this a Fish Only tank or will you be adding coral as well?
Just curious

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back