Stocking review

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for review of my plan to complete stocking of a 37 gallon FOWLR+inverts tank.
I currently have two fish: an Ocellaris clown and a firefish.
Shrimps including a cleaner and a few sexy shrimp, and snails. I'd like to add a fire shrimp and spotted crab too.
I don't want something that will eat my shrimp. I probably will never add coral. I might try an anemone someday. Possibly a macro algae.
I like to have some "interesting fish" that perch or have interesting behaviors, as well as free-swimming colorful fish.

Based on this, my current list to add is:
Cherub angelfish
Midas blenny
Black storm clownfish

Any thoughts?
Would you recommend adding 1 at a time, or together, or how? In what order? I was considering QT'ing and adding the clownfish and midas blenny together first, and then subsequently adding the cherub. Or maybe all individually. I'm a little concerned adding too much bioload at once.

Is the 5 fish seem like an OK final stocking, or is it too much? I only have live rock/sand, and weekly water changes, for filtration.

Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub angel might not be happy in a 37-gallon (maybe an azure damsel instead?) Anything that "perches" will also go after your shrimp, so other than the midas blenny I don't have any other suggestions.

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think the cherub angel might not like the small tank. And like blaxsun said, apart from hawkfish (which will eat your shrimp), I can only think of blennys like the molly miller and tailspot or bicolor. You could risk it with a longnose hawkfish granted it should be smaller than your shrimp, but I wouldn't because your sexy shrimp most likely will fall prey to it. My molly miller blenny likes to sit and lay down funnily in random spots and crevices in between rocks, sometimes even on my nori clip and magnetic cleaner. Definitely a funny fella.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are a possible option if you want damsel type fish without the attitude. I have an Orange Spot blenny that has a fair amount of personality and likes to hang around on the rocks, with a plus that it will graze on algae.

OP
OP
M

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments. As my post is a few months old now, I can tell you what I ended up doing. I got a Cherub angel (who was tiny, the size of nickel) and a Midas Blenny. All 4 fish are doing good. The Midas Blenny has the fun attitude I was hoping for. I am still considering another fish, maybe a chromis or a second clown, but in no rush.

When I got the fish, I also got a fire shrimp and a Halloween Urchin. Unfortunately the urchin did not seem to eat much and passed away about a month after getting him. My nitrates are also about 15 ppm; maybe too high?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back