Stocking Suggestions for a 30 Gallon

Zaky Own

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean-up crew appreciated. We are looking for colourful, unique fish. We are beginners so nothing difficult or rare. We don't like blennies. Goby options are kind of small. Any suggestions on what we could put in there? I know we are limited to options but what else can we do with it :D.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think diversity is best in a clean up crew. Turbo snails are amazing (i personally think they are the best algae cleaners). Trochus probably have the best reputation of any of the snails because they have some ability to right themselves up, don't get too big, and are good cleaners. Ninja star Astreas are also really awesome and cool looking snails although a little harder to find. Nassarius snails are cool to clean up dead stuff and they pop up out of the sand like zombies. They come in 2 different sizes/species large and mini. Also once your tank is matured a bit I'd recommend a small fighting conch to help keep the sand bed clean(plus they're really fun to watch).
Hermit crabs and emerald crabs are somewhat controversial as they can steal food from coral (dunno if you're planning any). I personally think hermit crabs are great detrivores and really enjoy watching them climb around the tank.

Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some turbo snails yesterday, and this morning when I went in and checked on my tank, about 75% of my GHA was completely gone. I highly recommend them. I also have some margarita snails, but the turbos are much larger and more efficient.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I also really love my zebra nerite snails. They've been great! Always active at night and haven't had any die and had them for well over 6 months. Although you may have to watch out for them climbing out of your tank.... I've had one climb all the way to the floor. Magarita snails aren't very good because they're from a more temperate climate so the warmer water most likely slows them down and shortens their life expectancies.

Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read about them being from a more temperate climate and not doing as well in a tropical tank, but unfortunately it wasn't until after I had already taken them home. I got 3 a month or so ago, and I am now down to 2, but I don't think it was the temperature that got him. Shortly after him disappearing, I noticed that my hermit crab had a new home, so I have some other suspicions.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHHA yea... you need to always make sure that you've got plenty of different size shells for hermits to re-home themselves in otherwise they may pick out one that already has an inhabitanto_O. Fortunately I like having lots of shells in my tank but my boyfriend hates it and actually threw out all of my shells (which I meticulously hand picked out) a few months ago... I nearly killed him xD I knew my hermit was dying for a new home and sure enough within a week of picking up new shells he had picked one up.

Anyways back to Zakys original question, for fish it really depends on budget. No budget I'd go borbonius anthias hands down. Think that they're beautiful fish and have seem doing well in 30 gallons. Also I know you say you don't like blennies but the midas blenny is my dream fish. If I had a 30g I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Bright Blue eyes with pink/yellow body. Simply gorgeous. (Working on trying to get my boyfriend to get one for his tank...:rolleyes:).

OP
OP
Z

Zaky Own

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm only 15 so my dad is in charge and as much as I love Midas Blennies, my dad didn't like the shape. He has some weird thing where he doesn't like long fish but thanks. Also I looked on LiveAquaria and these borbonius anthias need 125gl. I can't find anthias in my local area apart from orange ones and purple ones. What are the actual names (store labelled purple anthias - orange anthias)

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny/sorry about your dad xD I think most anthias need a bigger tank (Dunno why liveaquaria suggests a 125g tank for the borbonius, the borbonius ones I wouldn't hesitate to put in a smaller one simply because they seem to swim a lot less then the other ones). But I bet the borbonius are out of your price range (they generally go for ~$200 ouch >,< if they were cheaper I'd definitely consider getting one for my tank although I do need to do more research into their care level... )

Pygmy wrasses look really cool but I haven't looked into their care level. Unfortunately I haven't actually had a lot of fish but I really loved my neon cleaner goby and barnacle blenny (might be small enough that your dad won't notice xD plus they move ridiculously fast to grab food, you can hardly see them). Clowns of course are great beginner fish and add a bright pop of color to the tank.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back