Stocking suggestions

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to plan out my final fish purchase for my tank. My LFS stock varies quite a bit, and so I have watch for what I want and get it when they have it...

Right now I have an Orchid Dotty Back, Diamond Goby, Bicolor Blenny and CUC.

Do you think this is capacity for my 20G?

I originally planned to get a pair of clowns, but have just about decided to forgo them all together for this tank (maybe once I get a larger tank), But I am considering a pair of cardinal fish. Can my tank support them?

Any other suggestions for finishing out my fish stock? I would like something that stays out in the open water more.

Queen City Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to plan out my final fish purchase for my tank. My LFS stock varies quite a bit, and so I have watch for what I want and get it when they have it...

I originally planned to get a pair of clowns, but have just about decided to forgo them all together for this tank (maybe once I get a larger tank), But I am considering a pair of cardinal fish. Can my tank support them?

Any other suggestions for finishing out my fish stock? I would like something that stays out in the open water more.
Hey Scott, if you are looking for open water swimmers I would definitely recommend adding either a pair of clowns or a pair of cardinalfish. The diamond goby, bicolor blenny, and Orchid Dottyback are typically all more hidden fish, however, with a few "Dither Fish" like the clowns or cardinals the other fish will probably come out more. Regarding the fish you've selected, I would be careful because there could be aggression issues between them in that small of a tank, however, adding them all at the same time should help with this. I think this is a great stocklist but probably wouldn't add any more fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 fish is the max I’d do especially since one is aggressive (Dottyback) and another is highly active and eats quite a bit (Diamond Goby).

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 fish is the max I’d do especially since one is aggressive (Dottyback) and another is highly active and eats quite a bit (Diamond Goby).
Thank you.
I suspected that I had pretty much reached the limit on fish.

The Dotty Back was the first fish I put in the tank. Surprisingly, he has shown absolutely no aggression toward the other fish. Perhaps, because he was not wild caught? IDK.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think a pair of Ocellaris will work there. Done that.
I don’t think the DBG, will survive long term as they need a very mature and deep sand bed.
Very fast sand sifter.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pair of Ocellaris will work there. Done that.
I don’t think the DBG, will survive long term as they need a very mature and deep sand bed.
Very fast sand sifter.
The goby sifts a lot..that's for sure. I have a fairly deep sand bed in the tank (more than I would like). He does eat from the water column when I feed the other fish. And I have been overfeeding the tank to help support the CUC, as the tank is still new. I have also been dosing Phyto Feast and Pods to the tank, as well as the HOB refugium.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back