Stocking Tips

Kaliddeha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'd like to potentially start up a salt water tank so I've started some preliminary research and I thought it might be a good idea to get some recommendations. I'm a long time fresh water fish keeper and I currently have a 75g south american cichlid tank but I'm completely new to the world of salt water (other than ogling them everytime I'm in my lfs). I haven't set up a tank yet but I have enough floor space for a 40 gallon breeder or tall and I wanted to have a better sense of potential stocking composition before I take the plunge. If possible I'd like to work up to some beginner corals and anemones and have a reef tank rather than a FOWLR. I have been successful in my planted tank - any tips for starting a reef?

I've come across a few fish I know I'm interested in and seem to be beginner friendly and I was hoping for ideas on stocking composition, potential alternatives that may be better, etc.

This is a list of what I'm considering and I think I would only keep singletons rather than any pairs:
Royal Gramma
Clown fish
Banggai Cardinalfish
Blue/Green Chromis
Fairy Wrasse
Watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp

Are there any other gobys that would pair easily with shrimp that are beginner friendly? I like the yellow but I was wondering if another colour might be good since I want the royal Gramma.

Based on what I've seen they are all reef safe and would be alright together? Is that correct?

Would this be an okay composition? Would it be overstocked/high bioload? Could I reasonably fit a couple extra guys in there? If so, what would you recommend?

What would be a good amount of live rock for a tank that size? 40-50lbs?

Any advise would be much appreciated! I'm in the very early days of exploring this as an option and I'd love as much feedback as possible.

Thanks so much in advance.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the other darkside.... ;Woot

Many years ago I did a lot of Freshwater planted, and moved over to Saltwater Macro Algae. Now I have a bunch of all kinds of pet projects I play around in.

Let me suggest the following idea, although you said you did not want to go this way, but really you should.

1. Cycle your tank, no lights for about a month with rock, bare bottom, or very little sand.

2. Add some Tangs, juvenile, Yellow & Kole. Add Lawn Mower Blenny, no lights another month or so, working on your chemistry in the tank, and nutrient export.

3. Once you have everything dialed in, and you have a feel for the tank, it has matured, you have gained experience, then corals, and some light.

Now there is a lot to fill in among the 3 steps above, but a start.

Also Welcome to R2R, drop a thread over in the Meet & Greet forum, people would love to meet you over there.

Cheers.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back