Stopping Cyphastrea from Spreading?

onetootreefor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I tried searching but couldn't find much so I am hoping this hasn't been asked 1000x....

I have some beautiful cyphastrea that grows like crazy...I have already had to take a whole rock out and sell it because it was spreading so fast.

Finally it went only onto my back wall, so its fine there, hope it grows like crazy all over the wall, but my question is, its starting to get close to my rocks again, is there a way to prevent it from spreading past a certain point or killing it before it gets to my rock?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a really aggressive coral in its path like a torch and hope sweepers just keep it back but it’s no guarantee. Of course you can manually do it by fragging it every few weeks but that’s no fun. Lol

OP
OP
onetootreefor

onetootreefor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a really aggressive coral in its path like a torch and hope sweepers just keep it back but it’s no guarantee. Of course you can manually do it by fragging it every few weeks but that’s no fun. Lol
Ive never really fragged anything before and Ill be sure to do my research, but to me it seems like it would be tough to frag off the back wall unless you essentially scrape it, but I was thinking that would be how I killed it lol.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How beautiful is the cyphastrea? If it's growing that quickly. It may be worth it to frag and sell to help with the addiction.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a pain for sure! I've read a few posts where people just epoxy over the top of it but it grows so fast it's just a pain in the butt. To make matters worse, it is on a large piece of rock that the majority of my other structure was epoxied to so getting it out will be a nightmare. Good luck!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just break up the big pieces and ship them to me[emoji6]

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cyphastrea growing on the side wall of my tank. There is a hammer near by that kills and stops the cyphastrea from growing near it. And when it grows too far in other directions, I scrape it off. Usually with a razor or algae scraper tool.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back