Stopping GSP from growing

Bankertanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I was wondering my GSP over the past few weeks blew up and is not stopping to grow (Not that its an issue) i don't want it to overtake the whole tank,

Is there a way to stop them from growing, or to control how they grow?

Thanks in advance.

IMG-4193.jpg

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think you need to cut it back periodically. I think Glass slows it down but I've never had any so don't have firsthand experience.

~ I'm actually trying to find some but the lfs wants a ton for it so I'm trying to find from a local Hobbyist.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only one way to stop it!
explosion GIF

JK!
I have researched this very thing. I have heard some people suggestion putting aggressive corals next to it like frogspawn to help keep it under control. Some say you can take the rock out and put a border of kalkwasser or aipastia X where you don't want it to cross, rinse it off and then put it back. You have to careful with this as it can effect your PH Also, those are not a long term fixes and it would need to be done periodically. I haven't tried either of these approaches yet. So I am not endorsing. Just letting you know what I have come across.
I have tried manual removal and that was a big fat fail. it does not come off the rock unless I scrub it off with a steel brush.

You could remove that rock and replace it with another, and then make it an island on the sand bed.......

GL

Hunger Games Student GIF

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had success keeping GSP in its lane by putting fairly aggressive stinging corals nearby. Elegance, Euphilias, Bubble corals with sweepers, etc. Even aiptasia work well in keeping GSP confined.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't put euphyllia next to it to stop it. GSP can and will take over the euphyllia too. The only thing you can do it periodically take a scalpel and just cut it off.

OP
OP
Bankertanker

Bankertanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you, my GSP has just overtaken everything. I have tried scrubbing pulling coral placement. About to pull my hair out!!
Oh wow this is a serious GSP takeover :eek:

I have a 20 long and its just starting to take over, the issue is it looks so beautiful bet then it takes over everything.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back