Storage bins to cure dry rock

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to cure dry rock for a couple of months in storage bins, however, I want to create my aquascape using Emarco cement before curing them and don't want to stack and pile them into a typical brute container once I have cemented all the rock structures together. Does anyone know if I would be okay just using a standard large rectangular storage tote from walmart? I can't find any rectangular storage bins that say food grade but is that actually a problem?

Thank you

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what i did. I don't think its a problem. Folks have been using Rubbermaid trash can for mixing saltwater for ages without any issue. I started cycling ~50lb of macrorock in a tub last week. Going to let it soak for 1-2 months while waiting for my tank.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im looking to cure dry rock for a couple of months in storage bins, however, I want to create my aquascape using Emarco cement before curing them and don't want to stack and pile them into a typical brute container once I have cemented all the rock structures together. Does anyone know if I would be okay just using a standard large rectangular storage tote from walmart? I can't find any rectangular storage bins that say food grade but is that actually a problem?

Thank you

Should be no issues i have used them before.
I also use poly tanks. If you live close to me I could lend you a poly tank or trade for a frag if you wanted to keep one.

1608138670946.png

U

User1

View Badges
Look for the 50, 100, 0r 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks. Used for cattle water and similar things so will be safe and not leach phosphates. People use them for sumps with great success. Also another plus for buying them is later use for emergency should something happen and you need to move things quickly.

Must have for safety in my opinion.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks anyways shred5 but i'm in NH so that wouldn't work. So is the consensus to not use my non-food grade tote from walmart and to go purchase a stock tank? Or I should be okay with the regular 30 gallon tote?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not guarantee that the tote won't leach something out of it. Safer to use what others have already succeeded with.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This stock tank is in stock at my local tractor supply. Maybe I'll go grab it assuming it is also considered food safe. It says galvanized in the description but then it also says made of LDPE. So hopefully I don't waste a drive to the store.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks anyways shred5 but i'm in NH so that wouldn't work. So is the consensus to not use my non-food grade tote from walmart and to go purchase a stock tank? Or I should be okay with the regular 30 gallon tote?

The only issues I have had with large totes from like Walmart is somethimes they are not strong enough and require support.

I used this tote below for like 5 years on my reef as a refugium like 20 years ago. I had to leave the top on though because otherwise it would bow to much. After a while I built a frame around it.

1608141050798.png

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This stock tank is in stock at my local tractor supply. Maybe I'll go grab it assuming it is also considered food safe. It says galvanized in the description but then it also says made of LDPE. So hopefully I don't waste a drive to the store.
My local Tractor Supply has quite a few to choose from in stock.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious if you're referring to curing or cycling. Curing is usually done with either used live rock that you want to rid of pests or dried old live rock. It's also done to remove old organics built up on the rocks. If you're referring to Marcos dry rock, then curing is not needed. Cycling is usually done in totes, but I've always cycled in tank.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious if you're referring to curing or cycling. Curing is usually done with either used live rock that you want to rid of pests or dried old live rock. It's also done to remove old organics built up on the rocks. If you're referring to Marcos dry rock, then curing is not needed. Cycling is usually done in totes, but I've always cycled in tank.

Im swapping all the live rock in my tank out for marcos dry rock. I wanted to cycle the rock before putting it in so it had some bacteria established on it so that I did not crash my tank since I have a bunch of coral and fish. I ended up just cycling it in a regular tote. Its still in the tote and its been about 5 weeks now. Im thinking its about time to do the switch.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im swapping all the live rock in my tank out for marcos dry rock. I wanted to cycle the rock before putting it in so it had some bacteria established on it so that I did not crash my tank since I have a bunch of coral and fish. I ended up just cycling it in a regular tote. Its still in the tote and its been about 5 weeks now. Im thinking its about time to do the switch.
Why are you removing the old rock?

Edit: I just read your post. If you want to be 100% certain the rock is ready, throw in one of your older rocks that doesn't have any coral on it. It'll be the best thing you could do for your new rocks. Let it sit for another week and then it should be fine.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be no issues i have used them before.
I also use poly tanks. If you live close to me I could lend you a poly tank or trade for a frag if you wanted to keep one.

1608138670946.png
I just checked in someone from the same same city. I would have a mad e a deal if I had seen this earlier.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you removing the old rock?

Edit: I just read your post. If you want to be 100% certain the rock is ready, throw in one of your older rocks that doesn't have any coral on it. It'll be the best thing you could do for your new rocks. Let it sit for another week and then it should

Yea i threw a small rock in the tote from my sump in the beginning (about 5 weeks ago). So im hoping that will be goo enough. Plus im keeping the majority of my sandbed so thatll still have bacteria in it

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing to look out for is colored plastic. Some of the dyes are known to leach bad things that are poisonous to reefs. This is why Homer buckets are bad for storing or mixing salt water in.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i threw a small rock in the tote from my sump in the beginning (about 5 weeks ago). So im hoping that will be goo enough. Plus im keeping the majority of my sandbed so thatll still have bacteria in it
You should be good to go then! Did you already cement everything together?

Back