Stories from the Storm Feb 2021

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning.
Hope a lot of tanks and LFS have weathered this mess. Heard a lot of horror stories.
Here in Texas we are not really prepared for long periods of sub freezing weather and usually nothing below 20F.
I have managed to keep my 600g tank going. Generator to power the return pump, heated pots of tank water on our 70 year old gas stove (with pilot lights). The 1000 gallon propane tank was great because I used a lot of gas. Because I have a pool (pumps need to run to prevent them from freezing) and chickens (heat lamps) i could not use all the generator power for the tank. Not fun getting up every few hours to refill the generator with gas. Power was out for 8 to10 hours at a time and when on, it was for 1 to 2 hours at time. Water line from our storage tank (rain water collection) was kept alive with a seed starter heat mat wrapped around it. Did lose water to most faucets and toliets (frozen pipes). Yesterday it was 35F for a brief time and I was able to unfreeze the hot water heater intake. Woo Hooo hot water. Did drive out our road. Steep grade across the low water crossing was pretty icy on our private road. Texas does not own snow plows so the roads were sketchy. Was able to get my neighbor and his cat to the vet for an emergency and get some more gas for the generator. Tank is good this morning as we have had power for 8 hours now. Fish are relieved that they were not treated to the apex rebooting light show for most of the night. Me too. The fish wonder when they will get a (bath) water change. Maybe this weekend when it will get up into the 50's . Calcium reator was a challenge to keep Ph constant and flow going because of the recirculation pump not being on much.

I would recomend anyone with a fish tank get some sort of battery back up or generator. At the very least double the time you think it might have to be in use.
Anyone else have a good story let me know as I am always open to creative survival ideas

Last edited:
OP
OP
lapin

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish and coral are doing fine. I wish i could say that about my internet connection

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish and coral are doing fine. I wish i could say that about my internet connection
@lapin glad to hear that you and your tank made it okay. There's an R2R member that posted about collecting and shipping frags to R2R members that had tank crashes due to the storm. Is this something that you think could help members of the Austin Reef Club that lost livestock due to the storm? Do you have any idea how many reefers in your area may have been affected? Here's the thread if you want to post your response there instead of here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tx-and-southern-us-frag-it-forward.804976/

OP
OP
lapin

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lapin glad to hear that you and your tank made it okay. There's an R2R member that posted about collecting and shipping frags to R2R members that had tank crashes due to the storm. Is this something that you think could help members of the Austin Reef Club that lost livestock due to the storm? Do you have any idea how many reefers in your area may have been affected? Here's the thread if you want to post your response there instead of here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tx-and-southern-us-frag-it-forward.804976/
I understand there is a lot of things on the facebook sites. It seems to be more popular for newer reefers. Some of us older folks are a bit unwilling to be totally internet dependant. Maybe try there . I looked on the ARC site and see nothing Im not sure about the San Antonio Club. The Houston Club is going full gang busters on this.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost stuff I've had since the mid nineties. :'( Literally it will take me 25+ years to get back to where I was last week. I was able to save some stuff teh same by heating buckets of water.

Good to hear your animal pulled through ok! Most of Austin was without power for 3 days in freezing weather so there's a lot of people who've lost stuff. (A freind of mine had only one day of power between last friday and yesterday.)

OP
OP
lapin

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost stuff I've had since the mid nineties. :'( Literally it will take me 25+ years to get back to where I was last week. I was able to save some stuff teh same by heating buckets of water.

Good to hear your animal pulled through ok! Most of Austin was without power for 3 days in freezing weather so there's a lot of people who've lost stuff. (A freind of mine had only one day of power between last friday and yesterday.)

Im sure you are going to be real busy. I have 60 gallons of salt mix ready to go if you need any

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand there is a lot of things on the facebook sites. It seems to be more popular for newer reefers. Some of us older folks are a bit unwilling to be totally internet dependant. Maybe try there . I looked on the ARC site and see nothing Im not sure about the San Antonio Club. The Houston Club is going full gang busters on this.

I'm just on the cusp of being a millennial (mid-30s now), but I'm not on facebook. Decided to get off last summer, think it was a wise choice. I've checked out a few of the fb groups, but I prefer the forums personally. Hope the efforts help people get their tanks back on track, I think it's always worthwhile helping others when we can.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was completely unprepared, day 1 i woke up to a cold room, checked and had no power. I wrapped my tank in a couple blankets and proceeded to go nuts trying to find a generator, none to be had. Ended up at harbor freight where i was completely ticked by them not wanting to sell display models, i bought an inverter and ran the heaters and return pump off my car for most of the day. Sunday night i was able to borrow a tiny generator from a friend and used that to power the tank and charge phones through Monday, i got lucky at 6 am on Tuesday (on a fellow reefers tip) and snagged a big generator at lowes. It allowed me to run the full tank, my hvac and some electronics until we got power back. My tank got down into the low 60s and my house got into low 40s but so far it looks like I'm ok, sticks seem ***** so more to come on if I lose anything...

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to a generator nothing was lost. I’m prepared for a hurricane so I guess that saved me. Ran on backup power for about 18 hours at most.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back